Discuss Quality work by a electrical trainee..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

For as long as we have tight-fisted, short-sighted employers who perceive apprentices as a cost rather than an investment, then I'm afraid we are never going to get to the root of the problem. What a sad day it is when the industry has to resort to imported labour and Electrical Trainee courses to address the issue of skill shortages within the industry. I don't care what anyone says, it just isn't possible to become an electrician in five weeks. If it is, then why are apprentices still having to go through years of training? This makes no sense at all. I'm totally against these short courses. Granted, this route has worked for SC and she has turned-out to be a first-class electrician and a shining example to those seeking to enter our the trade, however, she is very much the exception rather than the rule.

My apprentice is in the first year of his training. He's an adult apprentice who has just turned 30. He wanted to become an electrician when he was 16, but couldn't find a single company in the Glasgow area who were willing to offer him an apprenticeship. What a sad state of affairs. So instead, he trained as a painter and decorator (he at least had the sense not to become a wetpants :D). He decided last year that it was very much a case of now or never if he was to realise his dream of becoming an electrician. So he started contacting electrical contracting businesses in Glasgow. I was impressed with his ambition and determination and offered him a work trial. That was a year ago. He's been with me since then, initially as a CIS contractor, and as a registered bona-fide apprentice since August. I see him as an investment, not a cost.

My apprentice is happy to pay his dues, so to speak, and complete a three-year apprenticeship that will allow him to gain the knowledge and skills that he needs to become a qualified electrician. He's happy to initially work for £10.08 an hour because he knows that in three years from now the sacrifice he is now making will eventually reap big rewards. So, if a 30 year-old married man with 3 kids to support can sustain himself and his family for the duration of an adult apprenticeship lasting three years, then so too can all the people with £££ signs in their eyes who sign-up for Electrical Trainee courses with the aim of becoming 'electricians' in five weeks so that they can then enter the electrical contracting industry and make **** loads of money.

Just done something similar myself JK.

Local lad (26) started his SECTT training in August. I Wanted to give something back to the industry our local community and give someone worthy a trade for the rest of his life. I don’t have many years left in me, maybe 10; and by that time he should be more than competent to take over from me completely. That’s what I’d like anyway. He’s as keen as mustard, on a low apprentice wage and having to work other weekend jobs to make ends meet. I help him as much as I can and am very proud. In 3 years time he will have finished his apprenticeship, have a SJIB grading and a job for as long as he wants it

BTW the original pictures that started this thread are appauling regardless of who did it. Nothing will change until the government regulate the building industry properly and lets face it, as not enough people die it won’t happen.

As for diabolical workmanship see my thread about a electrical trainee!

Meter tails not harmonised either with blue/brown from the cut out to the meter then greys to the DPI, smart meter too so done fairly recently.
So what’s the course instruction for fitting KMFs...be careful tightening the cover screws as they have a tendency to crack the cover...if this does happen use the black insulation tape provided!

Local lad (26) started his SECTT training in August. I Wanted to give something back to the industry our local community and give someone worthy a trade for the rest of his life. I don’t have many years left in me, maybe 10; and by that time he should be more than competent to take over from me completely.
That was pretty much my line of thinking too, Richy. I'm pushing 60 and aiming to be semi-retired no later than my 63rd birthday. When he's qualified as an electrician, my apprentice will then be given an apprentice of his own. That's the plan.
That’s what I’d like anyway. He’s as keen as mustard, on a low apprentice wage and having to work other weekend jobs to make ends meet. I help him as much as I can and am very proud. In 3 years time he will have finished his apprenticeship, have a SJIB grading and a job for as long as he wants it
My apprentice is also very keen and has the makings of a first-class spark.
BTW the original pictures that started this thread are appaling regardless of who did it. Nothing will change until the government regulate the building industry properly and lets face it, as not enough people die it won’t happen.

I know for a fact that NICEIC are the major obstacle to Scottish electricians being given protection of title and it becoming a criminal offence for anyone to work as, or even advertise themselves as electricians. Their obstinance to this sensible and much-needed proposal is borne out of their determination to preserve their money-spinning short courses whereby plumbers and just about anyone else can become "domestic installers" within five weeks and then be let loose on an unsuspecting public, many of whom mistakenly believe they're hiring a bona-fide, qualified electrician.

So on the the one hand, the NICEIC presents itself as a custodian of industry standards, often re-inventing the regulations as it sees fit. While on the other hand, this profit-making organisation readily accepts just about any Tom, Dick or Harry into into its ranks as a "Domestic Installer". And from what I've seen of the 'workmanship' produced by these "Domestic Installers", there are evidently a hell of a lot more Dicks trading as NICEIC-sanctioned "Domestic Installers" than Toms or Harrys.

These five-week "Domestic Installer" need to be brought to an end IMHO. But only Parliamentary legislation will achieve that. Unfortunately, this isn't going to happen anytime soon.
As for diabolical workmanship see my thread about a electrical trainee!

I've just read through the thread and made a post.

Something I thought long and hard about was the 18th Edition taking competent out of the definitions and replacing it with Electrically Skilled.

An electrical appliance repairer has electrical skills. An auto electrician has electrical skills. The list could go on and on with trades using their electrical skills.

I have installed the wiring and switchgear for huge blast freezers but wouldn't get a job as a refrigerator repairer.

So, who is electrically skilled and what work can they do?

Something I thought long and hard about was the 18th Edition taking competent out of the definitions and replacing it with Electrically Skilled.

Looking at this 'work' posted recently, I think I would supplement 'Electrically Skilled' with 'and who isn't terminally practically challenged.'

Some people should really pack all their tools away in their toolbags and advertise them on ebay.

Looking at this 'work' posted recently, I think I would supplement 'Electrically Skilled' with 'and who isn't terminally practically challenged.'

Some people should really pack all their tools away in their toolbags and advertise them on ebay.

So much can be traced back to basic practical incompetence. I reckon half the violations out there are not a result of a lack of knowledge, but people taking shortcuts because 'the correct way is too difficult'!

I reckon half the violations out there are not a result of a lack of knowledge, but people taking shortcuts because 'the correct way is too difficult'!

Or more expensive.

This is why I find myself continually competing against people who do EICRs for £40-60, consumer unit changeovers for £285 and house rewires for £1800. But of course, even at these ridiculous rock-bottom, pocket-money prices, the job is always done to the highest standards and complies with all the regulations. Aye right.

Interesting to know how Joe Public can choose between one ‘professional’ and another ‘professional’ when you see a job like this that actually any vaguely serious DIYer would be ashamed of.

Interesting to know how Joe Public can choose between one ‘professional’ and another ‘professional’ when you see a job like this that actually any vaguely serious DIYer would be ashamed of.

True. Most people dabbling with electrical work in their own home for the very first time would be pretty ashamed to end up with a mess like this.

All the training in the world won't change the fact that this particular electrical trainee clearly doesn't give a f...

Reply to Quality work by a electrical trainee..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net