Discuss Quick installation question. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sjm

Hi guys, I would appreciate your opinions please.

Would you think that clipping cables direct to an exposed beam directly underneath the floorboards above would be acceptable. All circuits are RCD protected and the customer wants the new cables to match the existing ones which are all clipped as I've described.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

In the amendment there is a new regulation 522.8.7 which is

"A wiring system buried in a floor shall be sufficiently protected to prevent damage caused by the intended use of the floor"

Not sure if your would class what your doing as burying, but I think it would say that what you propose is quite all right taking all scenarios into account. The RCD protection should not really be necessary for this

Hi Steve,

From what you say, in my opinion, it would appear to comply in that clipped direct is a method of installation. The cables would be visible and you have the circuit RCD protected.
I have seen the clipped direct method used a lot in pubs and also some churches.

It would not be my chosen method as you could also argue that the cables could still be damaged even with the mechanical protection of the outer sheath and it is not the best to look at.

No chance of the cables being installed within the ceiling void wehere possible?

Hope this is of help.

Best wishes

Rex

Thanks guys. The installation is in an old cottage so wooden floorboards on top of exposed beams with no ceiling voids. Existing cables are all clipped directly to the beams so that they sit right up close to where the floorboard rests on the beam.

Yep a lovely pyro job, we just dont seem to use it as much these days!! but saying that I think black FP would go nice clipped around the beams

Reply to Quick installation question. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net