Discuss Quick question regarding wiring a light. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So i have my College level 2 practical exam on Wednesday and we need to produce a board following a sheet. on that board we need to produce and wire up a 2 way light switch, i have always had trouble wiring up lights and found it very complicated, i have been doing some research on some wiring diagrams but everywhere i look seems to be too complicated, i did come across this. I just need to know if this diagram is correct on wiring up a 2 way light switch ( 2 switches to one light ).

Screenshot - http://prntscr.com/jhesrg

Thankyou :)

that diagram is OK. you need to think the basics though. with 1 way switching you have a L and a S/L. these go into C and L1.

with 2 way, you just put these into L1 and L2.then link all 3 terminals to switch2.

I know this is going to sound harsh, but I would suggest that if you find something simple like 2 way switching is complicated, that you might want to think about a different career
i think so ,you have to crawl before you can run .we have all been there .this world is a learning curve.so when have you not come across a problem in life .

that diagram is OK. you need to think the basics though. with 1 way switching you have a L and a S/L. these go into C and L1.

with 2 way, you just put these into L1 and L2.then link all 3 terminals to switch2.
Thank you for the reply, i get what you mean, the only thing i find complicated is when there is more than one and you have to start connecting a ton of wires to it, and then the whole putting sleeving onto the cables etc, Yes i know how to to wire it, it just gets confusing.

And like the guy said above about choosing a better career, i am only in Level 2 at college give me a break :eek:

always helps to draw out your circuit beforehand on paper. Know what needs to be where concerning strappers and switch wires.
The strappers, or pass wires as I knew them as, are a pair of cables that mean either one or the other is live at any time. That's what the 2-way switch does, connects the Common to either L1 or L2.
Get that straight in your head, and you'll be onto intermediate switches in no time.
Putting sleeving onto cables becomes second nature. Think about the second electrician coming to remove that switch and finding only browns?
Don't annoy the plumber or plasterer once you get out onto jobs. They will snip off any identification given half a chance.

Understanding wiring is tough for most people, that is why were are a skilled trade, my advice is to just keep at it kid, one day it will just click into place, lots of good advice except the one silly post here, just bear with it and keep looking at the diagrams, you will get there, good luck pal.

as said previously, sketch it out, follow the path of the L through the switches and see which switch positions turn the light on or off. bear in mind that you are only considering "lives". the N can be ignored as it's permanently connected.

as said previously, sketch it out, follow the path of the L through the switches and see which switch positions turn the light on or off. bear in mind that you are only considering "lives". the N can be ignored as it's permanently connected.

I still draw out diagrams of wiring, switching and consumer units.
I then put them to my side and reference them only if I need to, but it's comforting to know that I have at least thought it through before I grabbed my snips.

One day it will just click mate, we all have to sit down and work out stuff sometimes, sometimes, anyone who works with mutiple relays will be no stranger to doing this. Sometimes we get called to faults and you may have to draw stuff out to try and work out the previous electricians and logic

I expect everyone has their own unique way of learning things, but I use the same method telectrix mentioned above, follow the path of the live, I always used to tell the apprentices to imagine it's a pipe with water flowing through it, follow it through the switch contacts and up to the light. If you reach the light then it will work if you don't, it won't.

Another tip when drawing wiring diagrams out for 2 way switching, it's easier to follow if you draw to switch contacts in by that I mean a solid line between com and L2 and a dotted line between com and L1 so you can trace over the different switching positions.

Reply to Quick question regarding wiring a light. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net