Discuss Quick Question - Sockets for appliances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

vx35

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to change all appliances in my house (which is approx 20 years old) and I was wondering if I could change these fuse sockets for normal plug in sockets. Saves me from cutting off the plug on the appliance.

I have a switch grid on the splashback near the hob to switch on/off all appliances so I assume its ok to do so.

IMG_4560.JPG

Hi All,

Looking to change all appliances in my house (which is approx 20 years old) and I was wondering if I could change these fuse sockets for normal plug in sockets. Saves me from cutting off the plug on the appliance.

I have a switch grid on the splashback near the hob to switch on/off all appliances so I assume its ok to do so.

View attachment 39367
You would need to carry out the safe isolation procedure before beginning any work on any outlet, DON'T just switch it off at the grid switch.
http://www.-----------.co.uk/_documents/bpg2_safe_isolation.pdf

if in doubt, switch off main switch. if you ain't got test gear, plug a table lamp in first, then make sure it goes off.

I generally always switch off at the main switch if I am working on anything electrical in the house, Ive got a tester too :)
Thanks for the advise.

It could be that the FCUs have been used because plugs would take up too much room, causing the appliances to sit too far forward.
looking at that waste pipe, should be room for a plug/socket there. dunno about other appliances though.

Hi George and welcome to the Forum.
I understand, but some appliances don't come with plugs and the manufacturer's installation instructions direct us to use an FCU. Sometimes space restrictions may mean there isn't enough room for the plug and the FCU may help.

Thanks for the welcome.
I thought all appliances had to be fitted with a plug to be sold these days.
If I was a washing machine servicing guy I'd be much happier pulling a plug than removing the fuse from an FCU which could be wired wrongly. Perhaps I'm over cautious.

Agree - it might be a small oven that comes without a plug and an fcu instruction. Unless you can unplug it you must do additional safe isolation tests for exactly that kind of reason.

Reply to Quick Question - Sockets for appliances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net