• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Quickwire Prewired Junction Box in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JK-Electrical

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was kindly given a sample box containing twenty of these Quickwire pre-wired junction boxes by the manufacturer for me to install and assess on-site. I have to say that I was most impressed by the ease and quickness of installation. I'll certainly be using them again. Has anyone else tried this new product?

might be worth a punt. i'll give them a call, see if i can scrounge a freebie or 3.

What's the pricing like? I'm definitely interested in giving them ago, particularly for the fact they'll fit through a smaller hole than Wago boxes... good for those times people have replaced ceiling roses with a chocblock mess and not left a lot of cable available for fixing.

Saw them in PE. I was wondering if you could use the 'Splitter' to connect to down lights. Could you install flexible cables into the 'power inlets' or are they just for solid cables?

Saw these at the Harrogate ELEX they were a bit tight on the freebies so not easy to evaluate it in the field also it hadn't gone through all the testing at the time. They are only good for solid core cables but was told that one for flexible cables was being developed and also a one shot cable stripper

What's the pricing like? I'm definitely interested in giving them ago, particularly for the fact they'll fit through a smaller hole than Wago boxes... good for those times people have replaced ceiling roses with a chocblock mess and not left a lot of cable available for fixing.

I wasn't given any indication as to what the final price will be when the connectors eventually go on sale. Hopefully, they'll retail at less than a fiver, but my hunch is that they'll cost more.

I can't see them being cheap cheap, so it's a case of balancing the additional cost vs. additional time for alternative methods.

A Wagobox with connectors is a couple of quid, but installation time will be longer. Will definitely be interesting when they do provide pricing information.

I'm doing a job this week and I'm going to try the Scolmore Click flow connectors and see how much time they save. And they are very reasonably priced.

I can't see them being cheap cheap, so it's a case of balancing the additional cost vs. additional time for alternative methods.

A Wagobox with connectors is a couple of quid, but installation time will be longer. Will definitely be interesting when they do provide pricing information.

I'm doing a job this week and I'm going to try the Scolmore Click flow connectors and see how much time they save. And they are very reasonably priced.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the ClickFlow connectors. I haven't used them yet so am curious. As you say, they're reasonably priced at under £1.50 each.

Don't see any MF logos on the Quickwire, when compared with the Wagobox. The ClickFlow (CT102C) is my preferred weapon of choice, when replacing a ceiling rose with a client's new luminaire, for example.

Have just received a sample pack of Quickwire connectors from Joe Garton of Quickwire after reading this thread on Saturday.
Have to say initial impression out of the box is good, excellent sophisticated design and build quality and I can see them being fast and neat to use supplied with a fixing clip and demount tool.
The 'switch and load' will be perfect for retro fit decorative lighting to 3 plate wiring and I can see the 'splitter' being good for say, looped together wall lights where only 1 cable can be entered into fitting (EU crap,grr)
Will defo use them for certain things but pricing would be crucial and so far no 'MF' logo (whatever....) and no test point.

Having watched the above video, but not having seen them in the flesh I can think of a few questions I would want answered before considering using them.
How do you get the cables out again?
How precise do you have to be in the stripped length of the conductors?
If the conductors are slightly too short and don't make a proper connection is this obvious from the outside?
How do you access the terminals for testing, fault finding, safe isolation?
Is there a version for a standard two way or are you restricted to the switch conversion method?
What size conductors does it work with?

Personally I don't favour things like this as they are restricted to a specific purpose, I would rather have a single joint enclosure which I can use with my choice of connectors to fulfill a range of jobs rather than a range of joint boxes each tailored to a specific purpose.

I also think that if you are pricing jobs so tightly that you have to count the seconds it takes to fit a joint box then you're doing it wrong.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the ClickFlow connectors. I haven't used them yet so am curious. As you say, they're reasonably priced at under £1.50 each.

Well, that was an interesting day :)

I have mixed feelings about the ClickFlow connectors. I like the ease with which they can be connected/disconnected, but there is no strain relief. A 1.5mm is snug, but not tight and a 1.0mm is obviously even looser. I ended up using cable ties squeezed through a couple of slots in the body which worked nicely. They are a bit on the small side and one of the connections (the one acting as ceiling rose) was very tight.

As I say, mixed feelings. Do I think they saved me any time? Possibly, but I'm not convinced it's enough to switch from my usual method which is Wago boxes and Wago lighting boxes, with the lighting connectors.

The other gripe I have is I needed two different screwdrivers when terminating the plug part that connects to the lamp. And I just couldn't find a driver that fitted nicely and didn't keep popping out of the screws.

I'd be interested in hearing other peoples experiences and advice :)

I have mixed feelings about the ClickFlow connectors. I like the ease with which they can be connected/disconnected, but there is no strain relief. A 1.5mm is snug, but not tight and a 1.0mm is obviously even looser. I ended up using cable ties squeezed through a couple of slots in the body which worked nicely. They are a bit on the small side and one of the connections (the one acting as ceiling rose) was very tight.

As I say, mixed feelings. Do I think they saved me any time? Possibly, but I'm not convinced it's enough to switch from my usual method which is Wago boxes and Wago lighting boxes, with the lighting connectors.

The other gripe I have is I needed two different screwdrivers when terminating the plug part that connects to the lamp. And I just couldn't find a driver that fitted nicely and didn't keep popping out of the screws.

I've mainly used them for connecting downlights so that second fix and testing can be done before the light fittings go in, and also for ease of replacement of failed units (not so much of that these days since I stopped fitting LV downlights)
But now the downlights I use come with a similar style connector pre-fitted, so I just use that.

I've also used the four pole version for inline fans in lofts, this satisfies the need for a local means of isolation and also reduces time spent working in the itchy scratchy stuff. The socket can be fitted at first fix, then the fan prepped with flex and plug before putting it in the loft.
But I've also used a rock rose for the same purpose

Thanks for your review SC.

I think I'll stick with Wago connectors, Hager torpedo boxes and the dozen or so QuickWire boxes that I have left in stock.:)

Reply to Quickwire Prewired Junction Box in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back