Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Quinetic wireless switches sold by TLC. Any experience of them? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. 1Justin

1Justin Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Circitas Ltd
    Who's used these, and got any practical experience of range performance when there's a wall/window in the way? (FYI the transmitters don't use a battery, but get their energy by giving a big thwack to a lump of piezo).

Having many years in radio electronics, I'm well enough aware that manufacturers claims will be based on best case line-of sight (open air, they claim 160M), or indoors (they claim 30M).
    This is 400MHz so it's well attenuated by building materials. My gut feeling tells me that with a cavity wall plus a window in the way, a range of ~ 6 metres in this case could be very borderline.
    Naturally no-one at TLC has any idea and the manufacturers don't provide any further info.

So who's used one?

I might have to go for a "real" radio switch, but that adds cost which may not wash.

- I'm trying to cheat doing it the proper way since it's a set of outdoor lighting running off a separate detached garage supply. We are looking for a switch in the nearest adjacent part of the main house.

2. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    I have used them for 2 way lighting for an elderly couple who didnt want the wall chased out for the 2 way wiring.
    worked fine on both switches with one switch down in hallway and below the bathroom, the receiver was upstairs in ceiling void and worked fine. as long as the stairwell/case isnt too enclosed and reasonably spacious they should work okay.
    Only issues i have heard of happening is when the switch is too close to something such as a radio or old tv. for some reason the radiowaves can block the signals from getting through well.
    They are a much more affordable alternative to the MK echo range and work just as good if not better
    the metal brackets for mounting on front of a back box are worth getting though. make the switches look neater. i wouldn't bother with the metallic effect switches if you can still find them,but stick with white. the metallic finish comes off easily.

You should find they work fine for a 6 metre range even with walls etc..

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. leematthews

leematthews Active EF Member

Yeah ive used them before.
    Two 1 way circuits and 1 two way circuit in the same house before. They were about 10m from switch to light with no obstacles in the way. Worked first time with no issues. For the price they are good imo and the dimmer function was great. Customer was happy and easy to fit.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

Used lots of these, very easy to fit. I have one in my garage which activates a lamp in my hall to remind me the garage door is open. The switch is on a blockwork wall, and the lamp is 5 metres away on the other side, with the receiver situated in a void under a shelf, and no problems so far. Very occasionally a "wave" gets blocked, causing the switch to work in reverse. Easy to fix, just switch off the power and re-pair.
    Fitted two for outside lights where it was impossible to raggle the walls...they work fine at about 10m range. Another one operates garden lights from 30m, with the switch again inside on a solid wall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. 1Justin

Business Name:
    Circitas Ltd
    Thanks for all those. It sounds like I might get away with it. Could always put the receiver outside the garage but not nice.

6. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

Honestly, just do it...you will not have a problem, I'm sure.
    Receiver can always be re-sited, but I doubt if you will need to do that.
    Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  7. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

Oh, and do come back and tell us how it went!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

Best adjective of the week :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

Raggle?
    might be a verb!
    Chasing in England...
    Raggling in Scotland:)

Och aye...there's nothin' I like better than a good raggle!
    LOL!

10. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

Tell you what, 1Justin...if it doesn't work, I'll buy the kit from you and use it myself...
    and no, I'm not an employee of quinetic!
    BTW, try the plug in adaptors too.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WillWX

WillWX Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    Bott the Builder
    Thanks for posting this thread, this has solved a problem for me! Customer decided days after plaster they’d now like a 2 way switch in the bedroom..

Hopefully this will solve the problem :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. 1Justin

Business Name:
    Circitas Ltd
    I picked one up yesterday since the demo seemed to work well out into the TLC car-park. If I get time I'll wire it up for a test and do some "proper" checks round my own brick house and report back.

13. 1Justin

Business Name:
    Circitas Ltd
    OK, for anyone interested. - These I think might become common for my garden projects in future.
    The unit itself seems nice and solid. It doesn't need a separate enclosure and it has substantial cable grips. Only a single mounting screw, but one's own cable clamps would prevent rotation if fitted direct to a wall. Contacts are screw/squeeze -style (not raw screw terminals), so perfect for flex. So far I'm quite impressed.
    I tested it first through the triple glazed window of my kitchen, then I got bored after I was 100 metres from the house in a line of sight to the lamp, still working fine.
    Second test was from an upstairs room. Line of sight had two brick cavity walls plus two plasterboard partition walls all kind of on the diagonal. It worked solidly to 60 metres range down the road and then stopped.
    Third test involved a brick cavity wall, this one lined with aluminium foil faced plasterboard, then a 2 metre gap and the neighbour's (brick) house, the corner of which which jutted about 2 metres directly into the line of sight. I made 30 metres.

14. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

I won't say "I told you so"....

• Like Like x 1