Discuss Quizzed scheme assessor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

I had my annual assessment last month and confronted the local assessor regarding a short course non qualified, non competent chancer that is doing the rounds in my area. This bloke carries the same badge as me on his van. Customers can't differentiate between me and him because of this.

I know what qualifications he has 17th and EAL domestic installer course. Although he likes to tell the lads down the pub hes fully qualified.. Up until a year ago he was doing general building work (badly I should add) he's a jack of all a master of non. Now when I seen the schemes logo plastered all over the van I seen my hoop. He's nothing but an incompetent chancer.

Anyway I confronted the assessor who let him in and he bare faced denied it at first saying he doesn't let "apprentices in! (the chancer is currently on the 2357 course, his first year!). Anyway he couldn't deny it when I mentioned the name. He then said oh he has the domestic installer course I've got to let him in. So I then said you called him an apprentice though and he said well essentially he is just that.

So I said how can you and the scheme justify an apprentice working in someones home as a QS. His response to that was I don't make the rules and be careful what you say because I've just got rid of a lad this week. Didn't end well to be honest.

I don't know why another scheme or a new comPany doesn't set up as JIB register only. Minimum quals 17th Edition, 2391, 2330/2360/2357, 2356 minimum quals. At least for years recordable site experiance pre application. Then all the real sparks join it and make a nationwide campaign about fully qualified lads. I'm sick of competing with chancers

Even if a JIB register is set, these sort of traders and companies will still be there, so won't really achieve a lot.

Just to show how important good scheme membership must be, my annual visit is now 2 months past being due and not heard a single thing. The assessors must be so busy at the minute bringing all the Electrical Trainee on board or something.

If one of the schemes preferably the NICEIC said "no we are no longer letting part qualified lads in, everyone must have a JIB gold card aswell as 4 years pre application onsite experience and spent millions campaigning on it customers, landlords etc would never use anyone else neither would insurance companies.

The assessor was turning over 8 new companies every two weeks on average. That's from his mouth

If one of the schemes preferably the NICEIC said "no we are no longer letting part qualified lads in, everyone must have a JIB gold card aswell as 4 years pre application onsite experience and spent millions campaigning on it customers, landlords etc would never use anyone else neither would insurance companies.

The assessor was turning over 8 new companies every two weeks on average. That's from his mouth

So you are suggesting one of the schemes, preferably NICEIC, A: spends millions of pounds and B: gets rid of probably well over 50% of its client base? hmmmm.....an excellent business move im sure.

You're living in the clouds pal, none of this stuff is ever going to happen and you dont need a bloody JIB gold card and 4 years site experience to be capable of sticking some downlighters in a bathroom without burning the house down.

Brilliant idea, but lets be honest its not gonna happen..... Shame. All the scams out there are after the money including the NICEIC and it wouldn't surprise me if there is more Electrical Trainee out there now than time-served. And what's scary about that is these Electrical Trainee are taking on apprentices and mentoring them... passing on they're terrible habits! Mad! This is then pushing the standards of the new time-served lads coming on the block.

Jesus... its a bad situation

Another thing I'm getting of my chest..... There has been loads of threads lately about slagging off the JIB and their grading..... Its funny most of them have come from people who never finished their apprenticeship or Electrical Trainee.

Whats the problem?!?!? Finish the job and you'll get the grade! Same result to anyone who did their apprenticeship in the 60/70/80's. If you finish your dinner you've always got the grade. I love the JIB haha!

So you are suggesting one of the schemes, preferably NICEIC, A: spends millions of pounds and B: gets rid of probably well over 50% of its client base? hmmmm.....an excellent business move im sure.

You're living in the clouds pal, none of this stuff is ever going to happen and you dont need a bloody JIB gold card and 4 years site experience to be capable of sticking some downlighters in a bathroom without burning the house down.

Well said Dave sadly its all about bagging members and not about maintaining standards mind you was it worth it serving 4 years plus a further 2 years to gain my approved ticket then having to sit the 14,15,16,17th editions 2377, I&T ESC I could go on but then again maybe thats what the NICEIC wants as they need to control their environment. Still next time you get assesed and they say O we dont allow Electrical Trainee in then ask them to put it in writing and Highspark you are quite right to pull them up for it

A. The NICEIC are already spending millions on the domestic installer scheme. Changing the message won't cost any more than it already is.

B. Also a new company could step in and take half the custom (50% you mention) from all schemes. A good business move.

And ask a customer who they would want putting spots in their bathroom a 5 week wonder or a time served lad!

A. The NICEIC are already spending millions on the domestic installer scheme. Changing the message won't cost any more than it already is.

B. Also a new company could step in and take half the custom (50% you mention) from all schemes. A good business move.

And ask a customer who they would want putting spots in their bathroom a 5 week wonder or a time served lad!

Sounds great but the NICEIC are sales run and driven they just will not admit there is a problem but would rather resolve the issue thats code for ignore it and hope it goes away plus the customer will use a guy with a dodgy east European sparks ticket if he can save a few bob as this help him buy that new stereo system for his tv

I grumbled about the same thing to my Elecsa assesor, apparently the registered lads get more work. ....
I help out a bloke who doesnt have clue one about wiring, he can't do consumer units..amongst other things, has no clue about bonding etc, part P Dom Installer with NIC. The whole thing is beyond ridiculous, great money spinner for the bodies, wish they would admit it,

I had my annual assessment last month and confronted the local assessor regarding a short course non qualified, non competent chancer that is doing the rounds in my area. This bloke carries the same badge as me on his van. Customers can't differentiate between me and him because of this.

I know what qualifications he has 17th and EAL domestic installer course. Although he likes to tell the lads down the pub hes fully qualified.. Up until a year ago he was doing general building work (badly I should add) he's a jack of all a master of non. Now when I seen the schemes logo plastered all over the van I seen my hoop. He's nothing but an incompetent chancer.

Anyway I confronted the assessor who let him in and he bare faced denied it at first saying he doesn't let "apprentices in! (the chancer is currently on the 2357 course, his first year!). Anyway he couldn't deny it when I mentioned the name. He then said oh he has the domestic installer course I've got to let him in. So I then said you called him an apprentice though and he said well essentially he is just that.

So I said how can you and the scheme justify an apprentice working in someones home as a QS. His response to that was I don't make the rules and be careful what you say because I've just got rid of a lad this week. Didn't end well to be honest.

I don't know why another scheme or a new comPany doesn't set up as JIB register only. Minimum quals 17th Edition, 2391, 2330/2360/2357, 2356 minimum quals. At least for years recordable site experiance pre application. Then all the real sparks join it and make a nationwide campaign about fully qualified lads. I'm sick of competing with chancers

I've got mine in about 5 weeks. I'd better get a move on and get a course organised. Seriously, no prizes for guessing who is going to get a grilling.

I had a kitchen/bathroom showroom and installer phone me up the other day, said they had some work for me. Called round and found out that they just wanted me to test and sign off there work. They are registered with Elecsa but they don't really understand how to test! FFS Told them i was not interested!

I had a kitchen/bathroom showroom and installer phone me up the other day, said they had some work for me. Called round and found out that they just wanted me to test and sign off there work. They are registered with Elecsa but they don't really understand how to test! FFS Told them i was not interested!

Absolute joke isn't it, what is the point of it all?

The worrying thought is that there will be someone out there with a test kit and use these sort of jobs to see if they can work it properly.

Have had it out with our the napit / elecsa and ECA inspectors numerous times , always the same response ! can you guess what it was !?:disappointed:

Reply to Quizzed scheme assessor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net