Discuss Quooker - Some people have too much money! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Materials were added to this £70 mind at screwfix prices!!. should have made that clear but didn't actually cost me anything apart from trunking as i have a nice stockpile from my previous employment that i kept when i left. over the 5 years i worked there my parents garage ended up filled to the brim with stuff that when i sorted it out i was amazed just how much twin and earth and for some reason light switches! i had in there.
I hope your previous employer doesn't see this thread then.

I hope your previous employer doesn't see this thread then.
HaHa... They knew and didnt care - my boss practically wired his house for free with bits from work!. they always over quoted and billed for parts and materials in case of breakages, damaged / faulty etc... they worked it into the contracts... more often than not nothing would be wrong so there were surplus...

I think it's a little hard to price without seeing what's what. £70 plus mats (£7?) does sound a little cheap especially with the tiles coming off etc, but I reckon once you are inside the base cab it's plain sailing. Probably get it done in two - two and a half hours.

Must admit Gavin, you are a braver man than me risking taking the tiles off, I would entertain it if they had spares, but no spares means one big disclaimer in my terms! The customer sounds like the type that would try and sue you for slightly chipping one tile (even though it's probably hidden behind a toaster or summat!)

And yeah, the keeping up with the Jones's types that have a bit of money are often the worst clients.

Pricing is a funny thing. I've had someone say the £300 I've quoted for a 10 way CU change including new tails earth conductor and bonding to gas (at a discount for a friend's parents) was "a bit expensive" (felt like saying "well that's because I actually bother to do some testing unlike some of my local competitors" -been in to test and fix some real messes recently). I've also quoted £600 for the same job minus the new tails and bonding (because the customer had a very condescending tone when I went to quote and I decided I didn't really want the job) and got the job straight away. I try and do enough quotes that I don't need to bother taking the ones where the customer seems like they'll be a pain.

Some customers just dont know how to liaise with SE tradesmen, its not their fault. Most fun i have is being asked to quote to repair a machine with an unknown fault, i can understand that they may not want to spend a stupid amount repairing a machine, but i dont know whether its a broken wire, failed contactor or a burnt out motor until i start looking at it...
BTW - I have a Quooker, it has become an essential tool in the kitchen. When it broke down once i was heartbroken and under considerable stress until it was fixed, they change your life.

Their last house was a Grade 2 listed 4 bed townhouse in the posh part of Bath..... Given how pristine this house is and knowing the area they used to live, they must have gone really basic prior to selling and moving into the current house. as the new one is immaculate and like a show home. I only got the job through recommendation as their daughter goes to same yoga class as my girlfriend.

Oooo! that sounds posh....i bet you've got one of them fancy water boilers,and a coffee maker,and stuff like that... ;):)

Reply to Quooker - Some people have too much money! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net