Discuss Quote for replacing old storage heaters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

pineapple

-
DIY
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum but can anyone advise on this?
I am replacing 2 storage heaters and have been quoted around £1,100 plus vat for removal/disposal of the old (non asbestos) ones and fitting of the new ones (Dimplex manual not Quantum).
I could order these heaters myself for around £750 and a neighbour would dispose of the old ones. That leaves a huge difference for disconnection and fitting - considering the wiring is already there. Or is that a fairly representative quote?
Cheers

Disposing of any building materials is expensive now , and storage heaters are heavy and time consuming to dismantle . Also the physical logistics have to be considered,ie block of flats, parking , lifts etc.
If your neighbour is not a bona fide waste remover and there are any comebacks the buck will stop with you.

If you're unsure about the quote, get 2 or 3 more, and see if the average is about what you've been quoted by that first guy.

That's what I'd do.

If you can kill the power and disconnect those, discard of them, order the new ones and have them in place ready; I'm sure that quote would be different. Not sure if you can legally disconnect them though?

I could order these heaters myself for around £750

If you're supplying goods then any issues with Warranty or incomplete/ faulty from new then you'd have to pay all the labour costs involved and arrange replacements if that was required.

and a neighbour would dispose of the old ones.

You're getting free labour, transport and non commercial disposal.
Domestic waste is free to dispose, the moment you arrive at a tip in a marked van costs are incurred.

As above if you disconnect and remove the old heaters, order and place the new heaters at the final position, but not assembled then the labour costs will be considerably less.

Reply to Quote for replacing old storage heaters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock