Discuss Quoting for works - How do I challenge NIC/EIC stipulated on requirements in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lazlo

I'm NAPIT registered FULL SCOPE which states -
and is therefore approved to undertake the design, construction, maintenance, verification and/or inspection and testing of electrical installations up to 1 kV within the work

SCOPE OF APPROVAL

Work Category Date of Approval Date of Expiry

Electrical installation work in dwellings (A1.1) 26.02.2014 08.12.2015

Electrical installation work in all buildings other than

dwellings and other industrial locations (A1.2)

26.02.2014 08.12.2015

I'm bidding for works that stipulate 'must only be carried out by a fully certified electrical contractor part of the NIC/EIC scheme in accordance with Building Regulation 2004 Part P'

How can that be legal in a tender pack? How do I go about challenging it????

You cannot challenge it, the customer is always right, even though they are wrong in this occassion, unless you can get Napit to write to them telling them about their selves you are just going to have to put up with it, or join the NICEIC of course lol.

As MDJ said, perfectly legal.
They could if they so choose to stipulate NAPIT registered company's only and that would also be legal.

OK seems unfair on a parish council job, it's public money so I thought there must be an open and free tender process. I'd rather eat my own eyeballs than join the NIC. I've seen first hand how they carry out their assessments, joke.

Yeah I'll ring NAPIT tomorrow....

I know of a firm who had this problem with a PV contract for a council. ELECSA contacted the person in charge of procurement at the council on behalf of the PV firm. They ended up winning the contract.

OK seems unfair on a parish council job, it's public money so I thought there must be an open and free tender process. I'd rather eat my own eyeballs than join the NIC. I've seen first hand how they carry out their assessments, joke.

I will say one thing, Napit is niknamed Crapit, the NICEIC approved contractor scheme although a joke these days has far more merit than Crapit, if you think otherwise then thats your view, but you are wrong, trust me.

Lazio, I would just bid, I doubt that you would have any comebacks, in fact I'd go so far as to say that the person who sent out the tender document knows anything about Nic/Napit etc.

Just bid.

Unfortunately it shouldn't be this way but often is on jobs for big clients, councils, housing associations, etc. I'm an NIC approved contractor purely for this reason. I suppose it's what suits each business, but I wouldn't be working for some of the better paying customers/clients that I am today without it.

Last edited:
That's that sorted then.
Well I have been around a bit Andy, I have worked at consultant level and know very well Napit is not considered in the same light as the NICEIC regarding approved contractor level, that said I feel it is unfair, but trust me, the arcitects and county councils think Napit are not a reconised body outside the domestic sector, I am just giving the OP some sound advice from my experience, if it feels a bit sore to some then it is not my intention, just what I know.

Unfortunately it shouldn't be this way but often is on jobs for big clients, councils, housing associations, etc. I'm an NIC approved contractor purely for this reason. I suppose it's what suits each business, but I wouldn't be working for some of the best paying customers/clients that I am today without it.
Yep agree with you buddy, your right, and it will upset some but the NICEIC is considered a decent organisiation, we know otherwise but unless your on their list, ouside the domestic sector any company not in them who work on projects funded by the public won't get a look in.

Well I have been around a bit Andy, I have worked at consultant level and know very well Napit is not considered in the same light as the NICEIC regarding approved contractor level, that said I feel it is unfair, but trust me, the arcitects and county councils think Napit are not a reconised body outside the domestic sector, I am just giving the OP some sound advice from my experience, if it feels a bit sore to some then it is not my intention, just what I know.

I agree with what you said,
just made me giggle, that's all.

Napit have their work cut out. The 'Must be Niceic registered' line in is just copied and pasted on every new tender without thought or understanding.

Whether it's right or wrong, Nic are more highly thought of than Napit by the people who matter.

I agree with what you said,
just made me giggle, that's all.

Napit have their work cut out. The 'Must be Niceic registered' line in is just copied and pasted on every new tender without thought or understanding.

Whether it's right or wrong, Nic are more highly thought of than Napit by the people who matter.
Yes I hear you, we all feel similar, unfortunately as we have all mentioned many times before though, unless Napit and Stroma and Elecsa etc etc etc start to promote themselves the NICEIC will still hold the trump card.

Yep agree with you buddy, your right, and it will upset some but the NICEIC is considered a decent organisiation, we know otherwise but unless your on their list, ouside the domestic sector any company not in them who work on projects funded by the public won't get a look in.

we know that and many other sparks do as well, but unfortunately most pen pushers who are handing out the higher end jobs still regard the NICEIC as the best thing since sliced bread. For me it wouldn't make sense to be with another scam.

Reply to Quoting for works - How do I challenge NIC/EIC stipulated on requirements in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net