Discuss R, L, C and Power Question in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

jaydub

-
Reaction score
Question: Three coils of resistance 40 Ω and inductive reactance 30 Ω are connected in delta to a 400 V 50 Hz three phase supply. The total power will be:

a) 13.31 kW

b) 7.68 kW

c) 9.6 kW

d) 16.63 kW

I now know what the answer is, however, I do not understand how to get there! I would be very interested to see what others think to this.

I will hold back the correct answer for the time being.

Now that is what I believe to be the answer. I also managed to get there using two different formulas.

However, according to the answers, that is not correct! Guess again :D

The answer is apparently B, 7.68kW.

Would anybody be able to explain how to carry out the calculation? I have looked at the PDF Vortigern, but I still don't understand it... :rolleyes:

I thought you had to do this:

Z = square root of (Rsquared + XLsquared)

Z = 50 ohms

400/50 = 8amps

400 x 8 = 3200W

3200 x 3 = 9600W OR 9.6kW

Clearly though, this is incorrect, static zap, can you shed any light?

I found this part of the course I did the most exacting and understood it at the time, however I cannot get my head around it now without serious study and thinking about it. It is a different thing with the tutor there helping you to get through it and as I virtually never used it in general work it just goes away. This is for the industrial electricians I think. I am sure there must be some on here.

the last time i did any calculations like this, calculators had not been invented. a computer was the size of a house, and we still had steam trains. so i sit this one out.

Can you possibly show the working out to get the answer below please?
Read thru post( 7) ... the last good line reads =8Amps
(ignore everthything from then on)

The final answer is 3x the answer for 1 phase , so divide B= 7.68 /3 for clues !
Post (10) has the other formula needed .
" Copper Losses " is probably a good google phrase

(compared with other examples , impedance bits are handed on a plate )
(No Pi , frequency, current etc to get confused/distracted by hunger with )

Reply to R, L, C and Power Question in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net