Discuss R1 + R2 of ring circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi for a ring circuit, is there any need to measure and enter R1 + R2 values on a schedule of results ? Because an r2 value is already measured (together with r1 and rn). If I needed a ring R1 + R2 value to calculate ZS (although i would find ZS with a socket tester so really no need; but if I did) would i find it using the formula ZS = (r1 + r2)/4 ? Thanks all

Yep, values from testing are needed for your test schedule for both r and R. GN3 has method laid out in section 2.2.6.

I dont have GN3 yet unfortunately. On the test schedule (IEE model form) there is a column for r1, r2, and rn values, so its obviously a ring im testing. The next column along asks for either R1 + R2, or R2; R2 is long lead method which would give exactly the same value as r2. So with that in mind whats the point of recording an R1 + R2, or R2 value if you have already measured r2 ?? Which my question is, do I need to enter an R1 + R2 value if i already have r2 ?? If you get what I mean that would be great ;)

Def recommend GN3 ... I do tests and enter values for r1, rn, r2 and (R1+R2). Then I compare (r1+r2) to (R1+R2), looking for the magic 4 factor if I've built it right :)

Last edited:
I dont have GN3 yet unfortunately. On the test schedule (IEE model form) there is a column for r1, r2, and rn values, so its obviously a ring im testing. The next column along asks for either R1 + R2, or R2; R2 is long lead method which would give exactly the same value as r2. So with that in mind whats the point of recording an R1 + R2, or R2 value if you have already measured r2 ?? Which my question is, do I need to enter an R1 + R2 value if i already have r2 ?? If you get what I mean that would be great ;)
With r1 r2 rn you confirm that it is RFC by doing R1+R2 you verifying that cpc is actually connected to the socket and as jackhammer said verifying polarity

R2 is long lead method which would give exactly the same value as r2.
It certainly shouldn't if done correctly! In fact it should be a quarter of the r2 value if there are no spurs. But given that the test for the (R1+R2) value is required as part of the ring final circuit continuity tests I see no merit in opting for R2 over (R1+R2) presuming that we are discussing initial verification here.

Okay, so in step 3 of the ring final test, when you cross connect L + E, the highest result is your R1 +R2. Having a brain drain today, quickly why would R2 differ from r2 ?

Pete demo one of your videos quick.....
No sod it I am going to revert to lyrics from the great man, all together now:
Has he lost his mind
can he see or is he blind?
Is he alive or dead
Has he thought within his head?

Sorry been at the home brew again
Come on FFS

Pete demo one of your videos quick.....
No sod it I am going to revert to lyrics from the great man, all together now:
Has he lost his mind
can he see or is he blind?
Is he alive or dead
Has he thought within his head?

Sorry been at the home brew again
Come on FFS
Love it

Reply to R1 + R2 of ring circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net