Discuss R1 R2 on Radial circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TheCodboy

-
Arms
Reaction score
Just installed a small length radial circuit. Total length from board no more than 2 meters. Halfway along is a FCU and a double socket at the end. Linked line and earth and tested at the socket and got a R1 R2 reading of 0.10 ohms,hit the switches to confirm polarity and the reading stays the same. Am i missing something here? surely i should loose continuity and the meter should go full scale, just like when testing R1 R2 on a lighting circuit? Am i having a proper brain freeze moment here??

Just installed a small length radial circuit. Total length from board no more than 2 meters. Halfway along is a FCU and a double socket at the end. Linked line and earth and tested at the socket and got a R1 R2 reading of 0.10 ohms,hit the switches to confirm polarity and the reading stays the same. Am i missing something here? surely i should loose continuity and the meter should go full scale, just like when testing R1 R2 on a lighting circuit? Am i having a proper brain freeze moment here??
What switches are you talking about Codboy? you could have the wrong polarity?

Tried that. Disconnected the live from the mcb, earth from the earth bar and connected into connector strip. Still the same.
Have you got your test probes in the right holes?I presume you are using one of those plug top type units

I was using one of those,then took the socket out and tested straight onto the screws at the back. I thought my plugin was broken.
So lets get this straight Conductors joined at CU, your testing between the earth and L at the back of the socket, and you are trying to prove continuity by switching the on off switch on the socket, all correct so far?

Turn the CFU on - my guess is that you have connected the 2G socket to the load side of the FCU...
Well that's the right way isn't it? I believe what he has done is test the R1+R2 directly at the cable entry to the socket and tried to prove continuity by switching the socket on and off when he has effectively bypassed the switches altogether.

so you have connected the live and earth of the radial in a connector block the FCU is switched off ,nothing plugged in to sockets put low ohm test between L & E got 0.10 ohms took one lead off meter still showing reading not gone into open circuit have you not got a selection to keep reading on display for limited time/delay

Well that's the right way isn't it? I believe what he has done is test the R1+R2 directly at the cable entry to the socket and tried to prove continuity by switching the socket on and off when he has effectively bypassed the switches altogether.

Why would you have a 2G socket downstream of a FCU on a simple radial?

What is the purpose of the FCU?

Why would you have a 2G socket downstream of a FCU on a simple radial?

What is the purpose of the FCU?
No, but that's what he seems to have either done or it's the circuit in front of him, if you go back and read the original post.

Mine to, but if my detective skills are right I think my deduction is right. Lets wait and see if the OP comes back to us.

Reply to R1 R2 on Radial circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net