Discuss R1+r2 reading and r1,r2 and rn on ring final in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

Abu

Hi there
Been stuck on this for a while. What is the maximum r1+r2 reading possible on a lighting circuit in a domestic property. With a type b 6amp breaker.
Also if you guys could tell me about r1+r2 and rn Maximum readings for ring final.
Thanks

Zs = Ze + (R1 +R2) - so you know the Ze, then then you can calculate the R1 + R2 value, then look up the rest in the books

As for a ring - what do you understand about the configuration of a ring and how you would test it?

What are you trying to achieve?

Hi there
Been stuck on this for a while. What is the maximum r1+r2 reading possible on a lighting circuit in a domestic property. With a type b 6amp breaker.
Also if you guys could tell me about r1+r2 and rn Maximum readings for ring final.
Thanks
It's R1+R2 r1, r2 and rn are the end to end resistances of the L, N and CPC R1+R2 is the reading obtained by the figure of 8 test

It's R1+R2 r1, r2 and rn are the end to end resistances of the L, N and CPC R1+R2 is the reading obtained by the figure of 8 test
Yes i understand and know how to measure it ut was wondering what is the maximum value allowed for the test

For electrical certification you can only calculate Zs ,Ze and R1 + R2 are measured using test equipment. If you have a Ze then you can have a designed R1 + R2 based upon the chosen installed cable. Therefore designed Zs from that you can choose a protective device from the tables in BS7671.

If you have the On Site guide then in table 7.1 in chapter 7 this lists the maximum length of cable permitted for standard circuits in various installation methods and with different protective devices.
Then you can compare the circuit lengths with the resistance values given in appendix I to give you maximum values for resistance.

For instance a 2.5/1.5 ring final circuit on a 32A MCB with 30mA RCD protection has a maximum length of 106m. (this is limited by voltage drop)
Therefore on 106m your r1 and rn would be 0.00741*106 =0.785Ω
your r2 would be 0.0121*106=1.28Ω

Similarly for a 1.0/1.0 6A lighting circuit the max length is 59m and so R1+R2 would be 0.0362*59=2.14Ω.

Measure the ring final circuit readings i got a ze of o.14 at db on tns system i got a reading of 0.55 for r1 +r2 i would like to know what is the maximum reading allowed .

If you have the On Site guide then in table 7.1 in chapter 7 this lists the maximum length of cable permitted for standard circuits in various installation methods and with different protective devices.
Then you can compare the circuit lengths with the resistance values given in appendix I to give you maximum values for resistance.

For instance a 2.5/1.5 ring final circuit on a 32A MCB with 30mA RCD protection has a maximum length of 106m. (this is limited by voltage drop)

Similarly for a 1.0/1.0 6A lighting circuit the max length is 59m and so R1+R2 would be 0.0362*59=2.14Ω.
Thank u very much this is exactly what i wanted to know.

Measure the ring final circuit readings i got a ze of o.14 at db on tns system i got a reading of 0.55 for r1 +r2 i would like to know what is the maximum reading allowed .
you mean R1 +R2. note capitals. add |R1+R2 +Ze. that will give you the Zs for the circuit. Zs must be < the max. value in (tables) for the In of the OPCD.

you mean R1 +R2. note capitals. add |R1+R2 +Ze. that will give you the Zs for the circuit. Zs must be < the max. value in (tables) for the In of the OPCD.
I have seen videos where they directly measure the zs through a megger meter. I that reliable or is it better to do the calculatio.

In design or initial verification of a circuit you do the calculation to ensure it is safe to power up. Once the circuit is powered then measurement of Zs is a standard, fairly reliable and common method of ensuring that your circuit is compliant with the disconnection times required. Measured Zs can be lower than calculated Zs and so the calculation is the worst case scenario used for safety.

Where do u get the value of 0.00741?

In design or initial verification of a circuit you do the calculation to ensure it is safe to power up. Once the circuit is powered then measurement of Zs is a standard, fairly reliable and common method of ensuring that your circuit is compliant with the disconnection times required. Measured Zs can be lower than calculated Zs and so the calculation is the worst case scenario used for safety.
Zs includes parallel earth paths eg structural metal of the building ,bonding etc. which rightly stated lowers the measured Zs value also if the circuit has a RCD/rcbo the test current used is lowered as not to trip the RCD/rcbo during the test therefore you get a higher Zs .

Reply to R1+r2 reading and r1,r2 and rn on ring final in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock