Discuss r1 r2 through conduit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nicsin02

Hi guys, as the title suggest how do u test the R1 R2 value or R2 continuity if the sockets are earthed via the metal conduit?

Thanks guys

nicsin, I take it you haven't got a problem with R1 & R2 on a circuit wired in T&E.
Conduit (or Trunking) is just a conductor like the bare core in T&E, nothing magical or mysterious about it!
Remember, you'll invariably get much lower R2 readings than T&E.

nicsin, I take it you haven't got a problem with R1 & R2 on a circuit wired in T&E.
Conduit (or Trunking) is just a conductor like the bare core in T&E, nothing magical or mysterious about it!
Remember, you'll invariably get much lower R2 readings than T&E.

Much, much lower!! lol!!

Yeah but normally you would separate the c.p.c with twin and earth and measure between??

If your only cpc is the Conduit then you cant do a R1 + R2 due to parallel paths. Take your R1 inspect teh the conduit throughout and prove conitnuity.

If you have a seperate cpc within and you can isolate the cpc throughout from the Conduit then yes you can record a R1 + R2.

Take a Zs reading at the socket and thats about it.

If your only cpc is the Conduit then you cant do a R1 + R2 due to parallel paths. Take your R1 inspect teh the conduit throughout and prove conitnuity.

If you have a seperate cpc within and you can isolate the cpc throughout from the Conduit then yes you can record a R1 + R2.

Take a Zs reading at the socket and thats about it.

At last!! lol!!

I was wondering when or even if someone was going to come up with the correct overview of testing a conduit installation. Though why anyone would install a separate CPC in a conduit installation still eludes me!! lol!!

Or you could hire a Ductor that delivers 25amp to test the conduit
smile.png

I wonder how many of the younger members here even know what your talking about, let alone ever seen or used one?? ...lol!!​

Was it also known as a "Clare" tester, have distant memories of sparking conduit joints in our apprentice training centre

Yes!!

Normally came in a wooden case, but have seen metal cased units too!! Last time i've seen one being used in the UK was 20 years ago, when i was witnessing the testing and commissioning of a large shopping centre. Pretty pointless testing continuity on this installation, as the whole building was metal framed throughout and all the landlords (for want of a better term) electrical installations, metal containment, etc was solidly fixed to this frame work. Not a single failure, or even remotely close to a failure was seen throughout the whole building!! lol!!

I use a Clare tester in the workshop for proving bonding on the cabinets that we manufacture; that gives a wee spark if the contact isn't good enough!

I use a Clare tester in the workshop for proving bonding on the cabinets that we manufacture; that gives a wee spark if the contact isn't good enough!

They can give you more than a Wee Spark just by making a slowish contact to a solidly earthed/bonded testing point!! lol!!

I've engraved my name on the inside of 20 X 20cm galvanised pull boxes with these testers in my youth!! lol!!

Reply to r1 r2 through conduit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net