Discuss Radial Circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

whats also wired is with MCB 6 just turned off, the RCD held fine - where if this was an N/E Fault then the fault current would travel from other circuits (cooker, kitchen sockets, IH, electric shower, etc) and pass down the N conductor and back through the earth conductor to water pipes and generate >30mA and trip

Do you know how a RCD actually works?

it monitors for a imbalance in current between the two live conductors, it has nothing to do with the earthing arrangement of the property.

Do you know how a RCD actually works?

it monitors for a imbalance in current between the two live conductors, it has nothing to do with the earthing arrangement of the property.

Yes I know exactly how RCDs work - but I also remember something about 30mA RCDs dont work correctly at a certain resistance - but cant remember much on it as I always makesure I get an earth of less than 100ohms

Well find the information you are referring too, then have a look and see if it will affect the RCD in this instance. Personally I would say there is still a load connected somewhere that is causing the problem.

Well find the information you are referring too, then have a look and see if it will affect the RCD in this instance. Personally I would say there is still a load connected somewhere that is causing the problem.

i agree.

lol ! this thread is absolutely all over the place !

no earth but no mention of whether its tns tnc tt ,etc.

and you'd have to be a complete loon to even contemplate rcd protection for any home based medical equipment , thats what the regs exemptions are for.

and the fact the OP thinks 6 sockets on a radial is cause for concern is rather worrying in itself.

and fitting a new CU is hardly going to make all the problems dissapear is it ?

whats needed is a more structured approach to assessing each defect whilst remaining within the customers instructions & budget.

Far too sensible as usual Biff ;-)

I'd agree, sensible. However there'll be some situations where home medical equipment has to be on an RCD. The obvious one is on a TT supply with the typical Ra readings, where you can't avoid using an RCD for earth fault protection. Also, if the equipment is portable and may be used in a variety of locations, then it would be hard to justify not RCDing the socket circuit. If used in one location I'd put in a non-RCD radial for one labelled socket.

If the equipment is life-critical, then a UPS is the obvious solution, especially as tripping RCDs are not the only reason for mains failure.

the good book says " thou shalt not work on the sabbath" on penalty of being stoned. prefer a few pints and a couple of spliffs. now that's getting stoned.

I feel for you :sailor:
Is this a long term illness or just a temporary mental health problem :26:

Oh, definitely a long term problem; the taste buds are much too old to change now. Funnily enough, I've never had a problem with most other drinks, even had a penchant for whisky in my youth. The only other drink I avoid is cola, which I regard as NASTY STUFF.

when you say beer, do you mean lager as well? if so, there is no known cure. the disease is eventually terminal, usually around 75 yrs of age.

I work for British gas home assist

I saw a normal electricians van the other day just in front of me all stickered up in their own name etc, nothing odd about it apart from a large ish sticker with the British gas logo, saying "Approved British Gas electrical contractor" or something to that effect.

Anyone else seen one of these? I've never seen one before, seemed like they were trying to make themselves sound better or pulling a fast one some how.

Reply to Radial Circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net