Discuss Radial off a ring circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gringoking88

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been asked to add a couple of sockets and add power to an existing strip light (currently disconnected) in a garage. There is presently an SWA 2.5 mm cable that is apparently live but taped up, hanging loose in the garage which is fed from a 32a ring circuit located in a utility room. Before you say it yes I know that is madness to leave a live wire like that but it was nothing to do with me (it really wasn't)!

I called the NICEIC just to clarify the RCD situation and was advised to add a garage unit with RCD protection and use two 6amp breakers. My question is why do the breakers have to be limited to 6amps, e.g. I get in effect it would be like having a spur but dont understand why I cant have larger breaker?

Please go easy as I'm just trying to educate myself.

Thanks in advance.

firsti'd see if there was a spare way in the house CU, then a better solution would be available.

Think NICEIC is the clue to your dilemma, anyway you are down as a trainee yet a DIY post???

Andy,

Thats why I asked the question, as I want to understand the full methodology behind their recommendation. I am pretty sure it is a simple answer and probably something I am just overlooking.

Is the supply fed via a FSU? RCD protected? and a bit of advice gain access to the trainee section, you will get more help in there

Andy,

Thats why I asked the question, as I want to understand the full methodology behind their recommendation. I am pretty sure it is a simple answer and probably something I am just overlooking.

So, are you a DIYer or an electrician ? I'm still none the wiser.

Pete,

Cheers for the advice and I will try to gain access to the trainee section, Did you mean FCU, if so yes and no its not RCD protected.

Do you mean that there isn't any RCD protection at the CU? if that is the case the I would fit an RCD FCU at the point of connection of the SWA

Andy,

I am registered as a domestic electrician with the NICEIC but am learning everything by reading and researching myself. I have completed my 17th edition, domestic installers course and building regs but am fully aware I don't have the experience or qualifications of more experienced sparks, hence why I might appear to ask silly questions. Yes I am "qualified / registered" but would still consider myself a trainee.

So, are you a DIYer or an electrician ? I'm still none the wiser.

Pete,

Thanks for taking the time helping me out!

There is not RCD protection at the CU and I was going to add RCD protection but was thinking where the SWA terminates within the garage. I still dont understand this 6amp breaker thing though lol

Do you mean that there isn't any RCD protection at the CU? if that is the case the I would fit an RCD FCU at the point of connection of the SWA

Pete,

Thanks for taking the time helping me out!

There is not RCD protection at the CU and I was going to add RCD protection but was thinking where the SWA terminates within the garage. I still dont understand this 6amp breaker thing though lol

Without having the benefit of seeing the actual job, it sounds like you have an SWA feeding some sockets of low loading in a garage. Feed into a a socket and take the supply to the lighting through a suitably sized fuse via a FCU from the socket. Providing you have the RCD at the start of the swa.

Last edited:
Pete,

At present the SWA is being fed from a ring main, located in the main houses utility room and at present just taped up "to make safe" in the garage. What I need to do is add a garage CU in the garage incorporating RCD protection from this taped up SWA cable then I need to add 2x double sockets within the garage, 1 external double socket outside the garage and 1 garage light all from this existing 2.5 mm SWA cable. The need for RCD I get, its just why NICEIC said to use a 6amp breaker for the lights and a 6amp for the sockets thats the bit I dont get???? Cheers again also you mentioned about a mentor and I noticed on your profile "PROUD TO BE A MENTOR IN THE TRAINEE SECTION." what exactly is this and how does it work?

Not sure what happened there Mate see my later posts. Post 16

Andy,

I am registered as a domestic electrician with the NICEIC but am learning everything by reading and researching myself. I have completed my 17th edition, domestic installers course and building regs but am fully aware I don't have the experience or qualifications of more experienced sparks, hence why I might appear to ask silly questions. Yes I am "qualified / registered" but would still consider myself a trainee.

......I cant help but wonder how many clients using an NICEIC domestic installer assume they are getting the real deal. No offence to the OP but personally I would feel conned if I found out my NICEIC approved DI was unsure about such a simple electrical job.

Reply to Radial off a ring circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net