Discuss Rated current based on 415V but rated voltage 240V? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mmcg

View attachment 0900766b81489da7.pdf

Hi all just wondering if someone can clarify something for me. I'm looking at fitting a switch onto a din rail, I can't find exactly what I need so it looks like I'll have to fit a switch disconnector. My question relates to the operating voltage.
On the data sheet attached it says rated current is 40A at 415V. However rated voltage is 240V. My question therefore is why is the rated current based on 415V? It's probably me being thick but I don't understand the discrepancy.

Thanks in advance for any help

Probably for 2 phase equipment but If it's mounted in an enclosure is it a good idea having to open a panel to isolate? would a panel mounted isolator be more suitable?

i'd assume that the rated current is 40A and the rated voltage is 415V. that means IMO that these are independent of each other, and 40A is the rated current irrespective of voltage, and 415 is the rated voltage. if this makes sense. it's not a "rated voltage" of 240V where you say, it's an applied/working voltage. in other words, the swich should no be used above 415V or above 40A

Last edited:
I think the 240V rated voltage is to earth. The 415V is max across the contacts.
ie, you could use this switch for a load across two phases of a 415V three phase supply.

I'm looking at fitting a switch onto a din rail, I can't find exactly what I need so it looks like I'll have to fit a switch disconnector.

What are you trying to do? Maybe we could suggest something better to use if you let us know.

Reply to Rated current based on 415V but rated voltage 240V? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello Can anyone confirm for me what the following spec for a Wago TopJob 2202-1201 din rail connector means? The connector can accept max 4mm...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Victron Multiplus-II 5kVA inverter/charger with Pylontech US5000 batteries installed in my house along with a 6.8kWp PV array and...
Replies
Views
Hi there I have a few questions related to the power ratings of certain devices and how this interplays with the fuse. The reason I am asking...
Replies
Views
Hi Pretty new here, so not sure if this question goes into this thread I am not an electrician; however, I plan to integrate IOT devices and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just to be clear, I'm not looking for advice on upgrading but rather just clarification of our existing setup. We need to upgrade the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock