Discuss Rather Expensive Test Adaptor in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

How does his qualifications affect whether or not that adapter is a rip-off?
Never mentioned that his suggestion was a rip off, that was your assumption, my questions were aimed at whether the OP was experienced/qualified enough to pass on opinion on the current type of test equipment, that's all, why the snotty response.

Probably not, having only wired / tested somewhere north of 1,000 x IEC60309 connectors in various sizes - 16a, 32a, 63a in both SPNE and TPNE flavours, of numerous brands over the past 20 years....
Perhaps if the OP had mentioned his varied experience the confusion and the likes could have been avoided, rather than just making what appeared to be an unfounded statement.

Perhaps if the OP had mentioned his varied experience the confusion and the likes could have been avoided, rather than just making what appeared to be an unfounded statement.

Pete, I apologise if my (purely observational) OP was too vague and appeared unfounded. I believed that anyone aware of the ballpark for a 32/3 ceeform, 4mm banana sockets and a couple of screws could draw the same conclusion, irrespective of whether they'd ever personally wired, tested or worked with the things.

If that is just an adaptor with test probe sockets with no other fancy circuitry inside, I agree with the OP and I know F all ;)

Extortionate! You could make your own pretty cheap, looks like a box lid with some probe adapters mounted to it. Two pan heads and some crimping your away.

I have made my own,in every guise there is,even had a lad at a local council depot,who could get me the suitably shaped decal,made in traffolyte and marked up. You can then pot them up with a 2 part synthetic rubber,similar to what the broadband cable lads use.

Did a similar thing with a 7 pin trailer/vehicle tester,when i was a kid...the ones on ebay are not a patch on mine;)...seem to remember getting a rollickin off me dad,as i used all his araldite up,potting it:rolleyes:

I suppose it boils down to having something you can pass to others,and let them use,which means CE,and other approvals,which the advertised items should possess.

I once had a pal,who managed a yard full of trailer cabins,toilets,"welfare units",etc,and he asked me to cook up a way of speeding up,the apprentices weekly testing,of the lighting boards.

I devoted a day to it,and adapted a Wolf rechargeable lamp,which had a decent 12v battery,to which i added switching,some led's,and a 5m coil cord. The lad could do 50 lighting board checks in an afternoon,instead of 10,as no vehicle access was needed,and checks could be made on a suspect unit,whilst on a customers vehicle.

I told him to pay me what he thought it was worth,having used it a week :eek:

He rung me up and said he was staggered,just how much hassle it saved,and told me to come in,and pick up me "gift". On arriving,he presented me with a Mosa welder/generator,worth at the time,about fifteen hundred sovs,and said it was worth it:p:p:p

Long story/short - never underestimate,the value and worth,of a homemade device :)

Pete, I apologise if my (purely observational) OP was too vague and appeared unfounded. I believed that anyone aware of the ballpark for a 32/3 ceeform, 4mm banana sockets and a couple of screws could draw the same conclusion, irrespective of whether they'd ever personally wired, tested or worked with the things.
Thanks Tony no need for appologies

Thanks Tony no need for appologies

I made these 230/400 3,4 and 5 pin male/female adaptors for commercial and industrial equipment and Cable testing. I got most of the plugs off scrap and obsolete equipment, then some cable and test leads. IMG_20180907_054752.jpg

Last edited:

Reply to Rather Expensive Test Adaptor in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net