Discuss raw nerve new thread re breaker issue in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

KoFi

-
Reaction score
I've got to disagree with you wholeheartedly - not everyone knew what they wanted to do when they left school, and making the change later in life is the first chance some people get at making a go at something they really want.

As for the "craft and skill" being gone, I've seen some pretty dodgy work carried out by time-served sparks, and some pretty spectacular carried out by Electrical Trainee. As for the passion being gone - I disagree with that the most. I work 40-hour weeks full-time, then maybe another 10-15 hours in the electrical industry every week, added with 6 hours per week spent at night college, and every spare minute I get reading other technical books, or searching this place so I can learn as much as I can. Okay, I didn't know what I wanted to do when I left school, but I'm fortunate enough to have found out in time to do something about it. But your comment is nothing short of a sweeping statement, and tarring me (as well as others I know who work just as hard) with that brush displays nothing but closed mindedness. And it's that sort of attitude, that elitist snobbery, that the industry could do without in my honest opinion.
high tower

you have a lot to learn discipline for one thing. If you care to read your reply you have a desire and passion the operative i mentioned did not otherwise he would have bought a few tools and done willing to show a bit more interest( we advised him to get CSCS ECS cards to give him a try a few months later when we contacted him he had not bothered).

Been in the game 37 years + to know if someone really wants to be a sparks or just a job with the status that glorifies them (a couple of really good electrical labours I know are better electrical installers) I for one minute made no reference to quality of work being churned out yes there are some qualified chancers out there.The craft and skill has demised if not gone We used to manufacture bends brackets etc now you buy it off the shelf I have seen it my time in the trade dramatic changes i have not had to fabricate on a large scale for years (craftsman not just our trade were it has almost vanished)on that note keep up the passion!
and good luck:lightbulb:

Last edited by a moderator:
So essentially, the passion hasn't gone - this person you refer to didn't have any passion is what you are saying. To make a sweeping statement about the whole industry based on your experience of this single person is a little exaggerated. As for the craft and skill being gone, I disagree - it has simply changed, allowing people to get on with more important tasks quicker and easier. Doesn't mean people don't possess any crafts or skills. Remember the days when people were dying at 40 or 50 with asbestosis, or people were getting belts off borrowed neutrals? There's a reason changes happen.

To be honest, I've lost interest in this topic already. It just grinds my nuts when I see people who think the trade is a secret and only those with a golden goose should be allowed to think about entering it, and for that I had to say something. If that's not actually how you feel, then perhaps you need to word your posts better. If it is how you feel still, then I'm glad I don't have to deal with you more regularly.

(BTW I'm not being hostile, or saying this in a shirty way - it's hard to tell across a forum and wanted to clarify that)

can i ask your age and experience and which sector of the electrical industry your maybe 10 15hours are spent weekly?And your current grading documented
:confused5:

Can I ask why before I give you that info?
based on your previous comments I am looking for the answer to were you derive the change happened to allow more important tasks to be carried out whatever they maybe?electrical sector is vast so I am unclear on your statement

Please let's keep the wheels on the wagon!!!
I'm not sure where this thread is going but will be watched by staff, also Kofi I'm not suggesting you would but please be mindful that Hightower is a Trainee so lets keep it civil. Hightower is a very keen and well respected trainee and puts a lot of time into learning on here and away from here also.

Thanks.

Please let's keep the wheels on the wagon!!!
I'm not sure where this thread is going but will be watched by staff, also Kofi I'm not suggesting you would but please be mindful that Hightower is a Trainee so lets keep it civil. Hightower is a very keen and well respected trainee and puts a lot of time into learning on here and away from here also.

Thanks.
exactly a trainee who in the old days should respect the elders/mentors/qualified peers and likewise the mentor
thats the problem with the industry today
please close the thread

exactly a trainee who in the old days should respect the elders/mentors/qualified peers and likewise the mentor
thats the problem with the industry today
please close the thread

You have to treat others with respect to be treated with respect. Thread closed.

Reply to raw nerve new thread re breaker issue in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock