Discuss RCBO advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

doglog

hi, I am installing some Lutron (smart dimmable scene) lighting in a penthouse flat and would like your advice on circuit breakers. All the wiring is above the suspended plasterboard ceiling and 'batwing ' clipped to concrete 250 mm above. There are no switch drops as all switching is done by low voltage keypads on wall or remote control. There are over 30 switchlines with some of them being in bathrooms but again all above ceiling with no switches touchable and the lights are at a height of 2.8 metres.
My question is could I use MCBs to supply the Lutron circuits so as to avoid any nuisance tripping or must these 'above ceiling' circuits be protected by RCBOs as I interpret the regs?
Thanks
Doglog

hi, I am installing some Lutron (smart dimmable scene) lighting in a penthouse flat and would like your advice on circuit breakers. All the wiring is above the suspended plasterboard ceiling and 'batwing ' clipped to concrete 250 mm above. There are no switch drops as all switching is done by low voltage keypads on wall or remote control. There are over 30 switchlines with some of them being in bathrooms but again all above ceiling with no switches touchable and the lights are at a height of 2.8 metres.
My question is could I use MCBs to supply the Lutron circuits so as to avoid any nuisance tripping or must these 'above ceiling' circuits be protected by RCBOs as I interpret the regs?
Thanks
Doglog

No need for RCBOs if all cables 250mm above ceilings as stated. Except for light fitting in bathroom. All circuits in a bath or shower room must be protected by a 30ma RCD. p6, 701.411.3.3

Where a cable is buried in a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50mm on either side it must be sufficiently mechanically protected against penetration OR RCD protected AND installed either horizontally within 150mm of the top of the wall or vertically within 150mm of the angle formed where two walls meet or run horizontally or vertically to an accessory, luminaire or ccu. 522.6.6, 522.6.7. This applies to a cable in a partition constructed using metallic parts other than fixings irrespective of the cable depth. 522.6.8

Last edited:

Reply to RCBO advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock