Discuss rcbo fly leads in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

stumas

-
Reaction score
quick question can u cut the neutral and earth fly leads of a rcbo when installing them into a distibuton board so you can make them look somthing? the curly neutral lead is a pain i want to straghten it and cut it to fit is this allowed?:banghead:

Must admit to this, I cut the earth ones and put them together in a dedicated terminal. I know they should go to relevent circuit cpc terminal but I can dress the board better and just looks more planned. I tend not to cut the neutrals but dress them together round the board but would no hesitation in cutting them if it needed.

quick question can u cut the neutral and earth fly leads of a rcbo when installing them into a distibuton board so you can make them look somthing? the curly neutral lead is a pain i want to straghten it and cut it to fit is this allowed?:banghead:

Dude, lets assume you're an electrician. What you're asking is: "Is an electrician allowed to cut a bit of wire to a suitable length?"
Surely you can work that one out for yourself......

Dude, lets assume you're an electrician. What you're asking is: "Is an electrician allowed to cut a bit of wire to a suitable length?"
Surely you can work that one out for yourself......

yes but you know how it is some know it all onsite says you cant so thought id better make sure u can before i ignore the txxx

The only caveat to the above comments that I would add:
If the manufacturers instructions says the fly-leads can be cut to length then that is OK. However, if we trim the fly-leads without the manufacturers approval, we risk invalidating the BS EN 60439-3 type testing approval for consumer units (similar to mixing makes of protective devices). The RCBOs will have been type tested with standard full length fly-leads unless the manufacturers instructions indicate they have type tested with shorter fly-leads.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to rcbo fly leads in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net