Discuss RCBO neutral & earth tails in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the CSA of the small earth tail and neutral are one an Single module RCBOs, the ones in question I'm looking at are the new Schneider Acti 9s but seems to be of same size on most RCBOs. Just wondered as i haven't got any on hand currently.

This is so i can buy the right ferrules so if i cut them back can make them off.

WS

No idea about the small functional earth lead but i think the neutral tails are multistranded 10mm as i remember...

You can always fold the small earth tails up several times to fit say a red crimp ferrule...

10mm ? are you sure E54 ?

Most single module RCBOs only go up to 32A, the N tail being usually 4mm^ (grey ferrule German, or orange French) and the FE is usually 0.5mm^ (orange German, or white French), most FE use a red pin crimp instead of a ferrule though.

I am not 100% sure for the Acti range.

Edit: I see Schneider do some C60H type RCBOs up to C45A, they will probably have a greater Csa N tail, but I don't recall seeing any with 10mm to date, I will stand to be corrected though.

Last edited:
Lol!! I made a boo boo there, no idea why i stated 10mm and stand corrected!! I can only put it down as usual, to early morning, and before my second cup of morning coffee!! lol!!

Depends on the mcb rating think tri 4mm for 32amp and about 2.5mm for 16 amp its not uniform size throughout tbh buy a crimp kit with mixed sizes as this should already be part of your toolkit or leave them full length... note! Neutral should not be left coiled up.

I'm almost positive the Wylex ones are the same size tails throughout the whole range and I say they were 6 mm ? Could be 4mm but I'd put a tenner n a bag of dog treats on 6mm

Cheers for the help guys got a little RS kit with them upto 10mm2 but nothing massive supervisor has got me to replace an old federal electric 3ph board for a isobar acti 9 board so should use up alot as its alot of ways!

Nice to see someone crimping them ... number of supposedly competent sparks who think doubling up try rated in a screw terminal is acceptable is beyond believe.

Cheers for the help guys got a little RS kit with them upto 10mm2 but nothing massive supervisor has got me to replace an old federal electric 3ph board for a isobar acti 9 board so should use up alot as its alot of ways!

And what a massive improvement that will make to the installation!! Those Federal Boards were always Crap with a capital ''C''!!

Yeah what an improvement it will be, this ones has been hacked up to a certain extent because someone could't find any of their breaks so had cut a right chunk out of one to fit a standard mcb in... We have quite a few around but this one is the worst.

Don't want to pee on anyones bonfire, but you are not supposed to cut them back. Cant remember the reason why, but do remember seeing written somewhere.

Cheers………….Howard.

Don't want to pee on anyones bonfire, but you are not supposed to cut them back. Cant remember the reason why, but do remember seeing written somewhere.

Cheers………….Howard.

Alas, just another old wives tale i'm afraid. There is no reason whatsoever not to dress and cut to size to suit the installation.

I'd say that virtually every RCBO's neutral tail and functional earth lead has been, or will be dressed, and cut to size on our project. There is nothing worse than seeing a DB/CU filled with unwanted lengths of RCBO tails and leads. Get them dressed and cut to size, not forgetting to fit a suitably sized pin ferrule...

It was ....... wait for it ......... Tony Cable of the NICEIC. It was a question of the day on their website.

Don't blame the messenger, I know what you are all thinking!

Reply to RCBO neutral & earth tails in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net