Discuss RCBO Outisde Lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mr.B

Hi

I just wanted to clarify some things that i have been told by my maintenance contractor.

I am in a large commercial building and we have a terrace which had 8 bulkhead lights. We wanted these changed as they where getting old and grotty and now we have some nice feature lighting. I was told the install does not need a RCBO as it is looked after by a 'skilled or trained person' and also that it is wired in armoured cable.

The building has only been refurbished 2 years ago and did not have a rcbo fitted then so i have taken there work for this, but i do have some slight doubts and was hoping somebody here could help me with this.

Regards

Pete

Your Electrical maintenance contractor is quite correct and there is no need for there to be protection by RCBO. IMO I would give you what you asked in the regard, unless fitting the RCBO was really prohibitive, and if asked for a RCBO protection then that is what you would get, and cost accordlingly.

I was really just backing up what my boss had got me to check out i have a general knowledge of things but not to in depth.

Is there any regulation numbers that i can quote? I do have a copy of the regs and if maybe somebody could explain to me why it does not need a rcbo. Rather have all the details now then have to keep coming back.

Regards

Pete

The regs wouldn't specify why something is not required,rather what requires additional protection by rcd

559.10.3.2 will tell you where lighting systems are recomended to have rcd additional protection,then as long as the rcd is not required for buried cables.TT system etc
If it doesn't come under a requirement thats the difinitive answer

Reply to RCBO Outisde Lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net