Discuss RCBO question. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

tigerpaul

-
Arms
Reaction score
Had a strange one the other day.

I was in a main switch room and had an RCBO connected into a DB, but switched off. From it was a radial in singles to a socket adjacent to the DB. The conductors were disconnected at the socket, if I touched the neutral down to earth, it sparked as though it was live, and the Main LV panel behind me started to hum.

Why was this happening?

A photo might help. If there was a flash between the neutral and earth then either the neutral is floating at a voltage wrt earth or the earth isn't actually at 0 volts. The RCBO doesn't appear to be providing isolation possibly either.

Sounds like it might be a good time to drag out the testers before it nails some other poor soul.

Ok I forgot to mention, when I tested it I had 0v between L and E, but 2v between N and E.

The RCBO was in the off position when this was happening.

BTW, all live tests passed.

TN-S

I'd have thought that with the RCBO switched off, there would not be any possibility of any potential difference between L N or E. Evidently not in this case.

Reply to RCBO question. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

So I had an inquiry to make an electric panel (single phase) with RCBO, but it seems like our customer uses type C and F power plug (I live in...
Replies
Views
5 single phases to one huge property. Backup generator which can take about 106 amps split between 2 phases - 1 phase will be wired through...
Replies
Views
We have a room in the house that was the kitchen. That has been relocated to a different area, so the old kitchen has been sold off and the room...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, When checking my consumer unit voltages with the full board off, I stumbled across something head scratching. Measuring the feed...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, We’ve had a new CNC Machine from China arrive this week. It came with a monitor and a tower to run the software. The monitor and tower...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock