Discuss RCBO Replacement under 18th Edition in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
Complete laymen to the electrical world so need some advice.
We had a complete rewire done in 2016 and as part of this we had an RCBO unit put in. Today we have had an issue where there has been a loose connection and the board needs replacing. This is being done under our house cover but the electrician has advised we won't be having the same sort of board as the 18th edition rules have improved the requirement and therefore we will be having something better that includes mcbs. I don't have a clue about any of this so wanted some advice as to what is correct and what I should be pushing for. I've included a couple of pics of the board if thats any help.
Thanks.
View attachment 44534 image2.jpeg

Nothing to stop you having the same CU configuration as before as far as I know. looks like the contractor is pulling a fast one and has a spare Amendment 3 CU hanging around in his stores, don't let him fob you off. You have RCBOs now far better than two RCDs and MCBs in my opinion. Where in the west Midlands are you based?

TELL your house cover insurers that you will ONLY accept a RCBO board replacement .............. anything else is saving money for the contractor and leaving your house in a "worse" position.

As for the 18th edition - ask this contractor which regulation number he's referring to as this is a new change on me.

Hope this helps

TELL your house cover insurers that you will ONLY accept a RCBO board replacement .............. anything else is saving money for the contractor and leaving your house in a "worse" position.

As for the 18th edition - ask this contractor which regulation number he's referring to as this is a new change on me.

Hope this helps
Agree with Murdoch.

agree with pete. demand a similar configuration with each circuit protected by it's own RCBO. like for like is what insurers usually stipulate. the 18th Edition comes into force january 1st 2019, so the sparky seems to be trying it onto make a bigger profit.

and SPDs?

he'll need a bigger board.
Wonder if the "Electrician" knows what an SPDD is Tel deffo trying it on, he has an AMEND 3 CU stashed in his stores and wants to use it up soonest, like you say the OP needs to insist on a like for like replacement, OP please don't let this contractor stitch you up, speak to your insurance company.

All this photo confirms is my long held belief that wrapping plastic carp in metal doesn't really help.

AMD3 should have called for improved standards of parts being made for fuseboards:

Like metal components
2 screws for the incoming tails .

But no ............ lets focus on unnecessary AFFD's and such like (which will increase turnover and profits for suppliers) - rather than addressing the real problems (which would add costs to suppliers)

BEAMA - you are CARP

As above, like for like. Sounds like he's trying to fob you off with a split load board which, although is in the spirit of current regulations, isn't fully compliant with them for division of circuits.

TBH if the RCBOs are in good condition then I would be tempted to just get another bare unit from Screwfix and swap the plastic bits over.

Hi,
Complete laymen to the electrical world so need some advice.
We had a complete rewire done in 2016 and as part of this we had an RCBO unit put in. Today we have had an issue where there has been a loose connection and the board needs replacing. This is being done under our house cover but the electrician has advised we won't be having the same sort of board as the 18th edition rules have improved the requirement and therefore we will be having something better that includes mcbs. I don't have a clue about any of this so wanted some advice as to what is correct and what I should be pushing for. I've included a couple of pics of the board if thats any help.
Thanks.

I keep reading your post and I think I'm thinking what the others are thinking, but I would like to be sure. :)

Can you explain with a bit more detail, what sort of replacement your electrician is proposing?

Has the electrician been contracted by the insurance company or by yourself? Plus it appears you have posted two pics, but I can only see one?

Id just be buying a bare board and swapping the neutral bars over and plastic support? 2hours work absolute maximum, a board replacement is not required at all.
but you don't know if any damage has been done to 1 or more of those RCBOs due to the fault. I know i'd be inclined not to trust them.

Hi - I agree with previous posts and believe you are entitled to a like for like replacement utilising rcbo, not mcbs and RCDs. This will add a couple of hundred to the material costs compared with the mcb/RCD hardware.

Reply to RCBO Replacement under 18th Edition in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net