Discuss Rcbo's on a TT system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

paul

-
Reaction score
Fitting rcbo's to a TT system using a Schneider distribution board I read the instructions to the rcbo's and it clearly states that they are not suitable for a TT system. I have not seen this on instructions to crabtree rcbo's and can only assume the issue is that when tripped the neutral is still connected as the rcbo's are only single pole switching but looking for clarification as confused?

This has always confused me as well, and I've never seen a satisfactory explanation. The usual thing seems to go along the lines that a N-E fault will not be disconnected by the device even though it may cause it to operate, however the same applies to an RCBO on a TN system....so why pick on a TT? In fact if the Ra was low enough it would be permissible to use a SP mcb or fuse just to add to the mystery.
Manufacturers instructions and all that though.....

Asked my manager but he didn't have a clue and just said others have fitted them but why would one manufacturer point this as a problem but others not?

Most Rcbos are single pole + switched neutral
I understand the double pole main switch covers the regulation requiring disconnection of both poles, yet it seems to me that double pole rcbos would have been expected

Still confused been on Schneider web site and going to ask the question but clearly states not suitable for TT or IT systems?

Most Rcbos are single pole + switched neutral
I understand the double pole main switch covers the regulation requiring disconnection of both poles, yet it seems to me that double pole rcbos would have been expected

Agreed, the reg merely states for every circuit both poles must be capable of being isolated (except for TNS/TNCS) so applies to TT and IT,that is achieved by the main switch, it does not state that each protective device has to disconnect both poles.

The lack of disconnection of the neutral would only be of concern if the board were part of a further system that has RCD protection as there would then be a lack of cascading/discrimination, though of course applicable to all earthing systems.
I agree with #7 so long as you have a DP main switch this covers the TT DP requirement, though a DP disconnection on each protective device would be ideal effectively the UK supply of RCBOs does not support this.
I did think that the majority of domestic SP RCBOs were not switched neutral but solid neutral.

The distribution board is intended to be amendment 3 with main switch and all circuits with rcbo's protection on a TT system. I have suggested it would be prudent to fit a time delay rcd upfront in case of a neutral fault to earth in the DB but could prove problematic as a neutral fault on a circuit could trip an rcbo and the upfront time delay rcd.
I also think the majority of domestic so rcbo's are unswitched neutral

Last edited:
Had a phone call from Schneider bod and issue is that the neutral is not disconnected when tripped when I suggested other manufacturers do not see this as issue he replied that they recommend using the double pole rcbo units which would take space of 2 MCB ways, so now have issue of against manufacturers instructions

Tricky one, I'd say go with an S type RCD main switch, or if you are brave enough note it as a departure on the cert with the justification that the use of SP RCBO's is not precluded in Bs7671, and other manufacturers do not suggest their RCBO's are not for TT.
I wouldn't be brave enough and would use the S type main switch.

Reply to Rcbo's on a TT system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock