Discuss Rcd advice needed faulty or fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yeh I understand this however with the switch disconnected and a choc block with just a flex with light fitting there should be no extra load on circuit ie should work fine on the 16amp mcb and not trip.
I would understand if the shower was on and tripped but with a light bulb on didn't as would prove that there was too much drain on circuit to trip rcd of current load was overloading circuit.

However if rcd was faulty then it would surely trip with load of house appliances and rooms etc this is reason was asking here of anything else that could be worth testing before paying for it to be investigated to be told well yeh its something we have over looked .
Ramp test RCD's and IR test the whole installation. It'll either be a faulty RCD or a N-E fault anywhere on the installation, assuming neutrals are correctly connected in the DB

. . . .
Yeh I understand this however with the switch disconnected and a choc block with just a flex with light fitting there should be no extra load on circuit ie should work fine on the 16amp mcb and not trip.
I would understand if the shower was on and tripped but with a light bulb on didn't as would prove that there was too much drain on circuit to trip rcd of current load was overloading circuit.

However if rcd was faulty then it would surely trip with load of house appliances and rooms etc this is reason was asking here of anything else that could be worth testing before paying for it to be investigated to be told well yeh its something we have over looked .
oh dear!!!

Been doing electrics since the age of 10 mate dads fully qualified also worked doing electrics for both single phase and 3 phase air conditioning installs he is 18th edition certified and have been trained to the qualified standard of him.
I also run all the electrics in the house when was converted in the property it located in and as you can see was fully inspected and checked by a fully qualified electrician and signed off as you can see in the picture of the fusebox I am more than capable of checking things out.
Also I have checked all earths neutrals and lives on the mcb
Please can you tell me what is in it so do I have to install earth rods.

Having worked with a qualified electrician for many years you will obviously be fully aware of the basic testing procedures and understand that a multimeter will often give false readings on this kind of thing.

So in light if this can you tell us the insulation resistance of this and all other circuits connected to the RCD?

Having worked with a qualified electrician for many years you will obviously be fully aware of the basic testing procedures and understand that a multimeter will often give false readings on this kind of thing.

So in light if this can you tell us the insulation resistance of this and all other circuits connected to the RCD?
Plus safe isolation and not reliant upon marigolds.

You know what don't care I can't here to ask a question just because I'm not qualified doesn't make me incompetent of knowing what I'm doing working with someone who's qualified from a young age and being overseen and checked on standards of work and also working on 3 phase and also being more than competent of doing so is more than some newly qualified electricians have in experience.
As most newly qualified electricians just goto college learn sit a test and have a certificate being trained alongside a family member rewiring houses at weekends and then working doing air conditioning from the age of 14 until I was 19 and being trained to a standard by a qualified person is more than anything on a piece of paper and all on this forum are so stuck up there as**s that I'll seek advice on a different forum
I disagree, the price of paper is very important, as is the practical training and experience

I disagree, the piece of paper is very important, as is the practical training and experience

Not saying the piece of paper isn't important but it wouldn't come to use as I don't wanna be a sparky and would be a waste of time and money so cannot justify costs to needing it.

As I say I got asked to do a favour to change a shower then as it wasnt that got asked if I could have a look at electrics as I have helped my friend many of times always been Checked after and signed off by professional unless it' changing sockets or lights for him.
I am currently a mechanic dealing with fault diagnosing and ecu programming so getting paper for me is not really needed

For the love of God it’s easy to test whether the rcd is faulty...test it with right equipment (and knowledge).

This thread smells fishy, and I don’t mean the contents of Baldrics Apple crumble.......

The idea of this post is to find out if the rcd could be the possible fault or if it could be a fault somewhere else but surely with one wire direct feed when switched off the rcd doesn't trip meaning there shouldn't be a fault on the other circuits as it' been fine for over a week.

Update have tested all n-e using multi meter no shorts found one of the 32amp ring circuits had come away from the mcb not physically visible but have now reconnected.

Seeing that was on rcd side hoping it was that just waiting for the 40amp mcb to come back as friend took it away yesterday, then hopefully will all be up and working as Can find no faults on circuit all neutrals are on correct side aseell.

20171207_095616.jpg

The circuit/s need a 500V DC Insulation Resistance test, which your multimeter cannot do. Likewise, the MM cannot test the RCD. For your own sake, please get a spark to sort this out, using the correct equipment (a multifunction tester) else if there is a fire at a later stage, the insurance cover may be compromised.

Problem is now fixed the live off 32amp mcb was obviously causing the circuit to trip as resistance check wasn' connecting thanks to everyone who has helped and I tested n-e with multi meter with no shorts anywhere so rechrckef lives to find one had snapped

Makes absolutely no sense, but go you! Well done in making your friends installation potentially unsafe.

It's only a shower... Can't do much harm...

Seriously though mate, get a spark in to test. For the sake of £60 or thereabouts you are running a risk IMO. The thread to me is incoherent at times, and some good advice has been offered. I would not have a clue about ECU faults, similarly you are lacking electrical knowledge. Not having a dig, just stating a fact.

Problem is now fixed the live off 32amp mcb was obviously causing the circuit to trip as resistance check wasn' connecting thanks to everyone who has helped and I tested n-e with multi meter with no shorts anywhere so rechrckef lives to find one had snapped

Good that it is working, but I don't quite understand the above - where and what was the actual fault?

The fault seemed to be the live off one of ring mains had broken so instead of having the full circuit it was only fed one way the minute I exterminated that it stopped the tripping.

Also the breaker is slightly different size but exactly the same as the others on the buzz bar I tested the circuit as previusly said by others to check for n-e short which didn' show anything.

As for why it kept tripping before is because the water valve on the shower was flow controlled and was round the wrong way so poor flow was overheating the shower and causing it to trip.

Other than the broken live on ring main there was no other faults I could find I have spoken to a friend who's gonna do a test on it soon thanks to the people that helped and inwomt be returning here as people are not overall friendly.

20171207_102344.jpg

Reply to Rcd advice needed faulty or fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net