Discuss RCD being used as a main switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Not aware that one RCD has ever been the norm?

Then you never lived in my part of the world to see in the early seventies
If there happened to be any sort of circuit breaker it would have been a voltage operated elcb
The Rcd that replaced these were fitted to almost every household electrical system that existed in that location

Then you never lived in my part of the world to see in the early seventies
If there happened to be any sort of circuit breaker it would have been a voltage operated elcb
The Rcd that replaced these were fitted to almost every household electrical system that existed in that location

Quite.
Loads of houses on a TT supply with one upfront ELCB or RCD.

If total loss of power is regarded as a significant safety issue, then emergency lighting or an automatic-start backup generator should be installed to cater for power cuts. Or a UPS fitted to specific items of essential equipment.

Yep: Front end ELCB or RCD covering the whole installation was the norm down here too, still lots of them in daily use.

Err how can a bedside be used and how can the sockets not be affected ?? The point is the rcd is the main isolator switch and also controls all circuits !
Talking about a dual rcd db and that you can have up lights on one rcd and up sockets on the other thus if rcd protecting up lights trips then at least a bedside lamp can be used on the upstairs sockets so there can be some light.
Read it again!

Picture of one such installation I visited
Just today
I'm lost!
I was referring to a dual rcd consumer unit I would have to go and read through the entire thread again to see what context I brought this up with.
Hope you commented on lack of circuit identification tho :)

Always best to stick to the point . Seems you like to throw the odd Spaniard in the works . Still there ? Move on fella

I've never ever used RCD's in a domestic installation. Split load 2 RCD boards are not for me! 100A main breaker/isolator with RCBO's is the only way. AMEN :eek:

Last edited:
Not bad.. more than 3 years old and still an active thread.

Reply to RCD being used as a main switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock