Discuss rcd bust? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
rcd bust? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

strange goings-on or it might be me, this is what happens;

• 3 lead loop test on final circuit = rcd trip

• 3 lead loop test at board, outgoing side of rcd, all circuits off = rcd trip

• 3 lead loop test at incoming side = rcd trip

• rcd test at outgoing side= X.5 no trip X1 45ms X5 29ms

•rcd test income side no trip at 500mA

• 2 lead loop test on incoming side = L-N and L-E both ~ .35ohms

why is it tripping on the 3 lead test, especially on the incoming side?

this is a remote board supplied by 16mm 3 c swa.
cheers.

Hi Adie, I've only seen RCD trip from current going through it, so is there possibility of weird wiring? Or reversed leads (sorry - just clutching at straws). I was wondering what prompted you to try the RCD test before the RCD?

I'd go with a slight N-E fault being the culprit here, test the RCD with the outgoing side disconnected (all conductors)

Why have you applied an RCD test to the incoming side of an RCD? I can't see the point of doing that?

I will be investigating further. re unorthodox rcd testing, I was just wondering if it would trip and thus give me a reading.
IR test L+N-E 12Mohm.
it was late so didn't dis connect all circuits

I will be investigating further. re unorthodox rcd testing, I was just wondering if it would trip and thus give me a reading.
IR test L+N-E 12Mohm.
it was late so didn't dis connect all circuits

It won't trip if you RCD test on the incoming side, it will just put a current down the earth unnecessarily.

The difference is that a Hi loop puts 25A down to earth (Unless its a no trip 15mA)and the RCD test put whatever setting you have your meter set on mA!

The RCD should not trip so you need to find out what the problem are all the connections tight !

Reply to rcd bust? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock