Discuss rcd discrimination in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Daniel Son

hi guys im an apprentice and need some more understanding about rcds
please may i have an example of rcd discrimination and what ratings i would use for different things and why
thanks danny

RCD Discrimination:
The old "Rule of Thumb" (RoT) was that the upstream RCD nominal trip rating should be at least 3 times larger than the downstream RCD.
Although this often provides discrimination it is not guaranteed. It was the RoT that was universally used by Sparks at a time when, although time delay RCDs where in manufacturers catalogues, they were expensive and only available by special order, so were rarely used and then usually only in industrial installations.
From the 16th Edition of the Wiring Regulations time delay (S type) RCDs have become increasingly common in domestic installations and today their wider usage has reduced the price close to parity with normal RCDs.
The current Rule of Thumb is:- The upstream RCD should be a time delay (S type) RCD and it's nominal trip rating should be at least 3 times larger than the downstream normal type RCD.

Last edited by a moderator:
RCD Discrimination:
The old "Rule of Thumb" (RoT) was that the downstream RCD nominal trip rating should be 3 times larger than the upstream RCD. Although this often provides discrimination it is not guaranteed. It was the RoT that was universally used by Sparks at a time when, although time delay RCDs where in manufacturers catalogues, they were expensive and only available by special order from the manufacturer, so were rarely used and usually only in industrial installations. From the 16th Edition of the Wiring Regulations time delay (S type) RCDs have become increasingly common in domestic installations and today their wider usage has reduced the price close to parity with normal RCDs.
The current Rule of Thumb is the downstream device should be a time delay (S type) RCD and it's nominal trip rating should be 3 times larger than the upstream normal type RCD.

what rcd ratings should i use and were?

Markie, unless I need another coffee, isn't that UP & DOWN stream the wrong way around?

Oops! sorry guys ... I rushed it and didn't proof read it before posting ... now edited. Thanks for the heads-up, nice that you guys were on the ball.

A common example Daniel, Upstream device 100mA S type RCD ... downstream device 30mA RCD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to rcd discrimination in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net