Discuss Rcd in bathrooms in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

When carrying out a pir if the bathroom has no rcd protection is it a code 4 or code 2?

All sockets are rcho protected but bathroom light & elec shower on normal mcbs

Hi all

When carrying out a pir if the bathroom has no rcd protection is it a code 4 or code 2?

All sockets are rcho protected but bathroom light & elec shower on normal mcbs

I wouldn't put a Recommendation Code 4 for a non-RCD protected electric shower.

Incidentally, is supplementary bonding provided in the bathroom?

Hi mate,

Bathroom shower I would say is a code 1 needs to be rcd protected right away, Manufacture requirement not regs .:eek:
Light is a code 4

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again,

RCDs for showers is quite new in the regs, included in the last up date, it was not there before 2001.

As for the light same would apply, however manufactures of showers have all ways asked for rcd protection , that’s why I would call it a code 1 and recommend update before use.

Cheers KJ :confused:

Personally I wouldn't look at it so much from what was required by the Regulations previously, but as to what the risks are.

To me, RCD protection on an electric shower is fundamental for safety.

As for other circuits within the bathroom, if supplementary bonding hasn't been provided then they are not safe without RCD protection. If supplementary bonding is adequate then the RCD protection (though required by the Regulations) is less of an issue.

Of course that is my opinion and you are free to disagree with me!

Hi there,

Never bean a big admirer of earthed equipotential bonding in a wet room.

The way I see it is if you have bonding to water and gas and any other service pipes, and you live in a normal sized property, then I don’t se how you can get a potential on any pipe work in a wet room. ???

However, I fitted up un till 2008

Cheers KJ:cool: 

Keith your statement is rather sweeping I think "however manufactures of showers have all ways asked for rcd protection "

Personaly CODE2 its NOT imideate danger ie open exposed conductors although a shower without RCD protection does IMO require URGENT upgrading

Hi

No supplementary bonding - but continuity on pipework to MET 0.02 ohms

If there is no supplementary bonding then not RCD protecting every circuit in the bathroom really cannot be justified. The installation is not in a safe condition.

Reply to Rcd in bathrooms in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net