Discuss RCD keeps tripping!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lee_Dicks

hi guys and girls,
I'm new to the forum,
recently left the army and did a short electrical course. (doesn't make me an expert by no means)

my problem is this:

my sister has just bought a house and as a favour I said I would sort her electrics. The house is old (bout 1930s) had old style MCBs I replaced the fuseboard to a split load board (2 RCDs) and wired it upup. Chuffed with myself I tested all the circuits, (end to end, continuity etc...) working fine turned on the power and tested the downstairs sockets. the rcd trips every time a load is put the circuit. upstairs works fine (waiting for lights so not got to them yet) kitchen not done yet. just upstairs sockets and frontroom are done except for this.

any help please guys and girls

L-N was 0.20 same at every socket. N are (as far as i can tell) in place.
havent got the IR readings here. im pretty sure they were below 1.0mohms

The reason proper electrical courses are years long is so this sort of stuff can be easily solved if it arrises. what can you really take away from a short course in electrics anyway?

Just a thought. ;)

i will have another look tomorrow. gave you the reading for the lights sorry. i will check ir for sockets tomorrow.
thanks guys hopefully it will be a neutral in the wrong place.

if all neutrals are in the correct bars and the appliance is not the problem then i woujld say more testing needs to be carried out to find the issue

i know but when the army pay for the course its more a heads up. Wanted to find work then learn on the job. I even offered free work to learn. Got no serious replies. we all start somewhere.

Think about what 'insulation resistance' means, and then why 'less than 1.0 Meg' needs more thought. Daz

L-N was 0.20 same at every socket. N are (as far as i can tell) in place.
havent got the IR readings here. im pretty sure they were below 1.0mohms

Top Tip.

Make sure you keep the draft cert with your hand written notes on them with you and bring them home.

You could call your scheme technical help line.

hi guys and girls,
I'm new to the forum,
recently left the army and did a short electrical course. (doesn't make me an expert by no means)

my problem is this:

my sister has just bought a house and as a favour I said I would sort her electrics. The house is old (bout 1930s) had old style MCBs I replaced the fuseboard to a split load board (2 RCDs) and wired it upup. Chuffed with myself I tested all the circuits, (end to end, continuity etc...) working fine turned on the power and tested the downstairs sockets. the rcd trips every time a load is put the circuit. upstairs works fine (waiting for lights so not got to them yet) kitchen not done yet. just upstairs sockets and frontroom are done except for this.

any help please guys and girls

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Ok if you have a half decent tester, and GN3 then you will be able to carry out your tests. As you have said, you tested them all. Could you list your schedule of test results, then we can look at them as a starting point,going forward.

Cheers
Toony

I read it that all circuits are on RCDs (dual RCD board). Daz

Hi mate if you had tested before changing the board you would have identified that the wiring did not comply and would possibly need rewiring or rectifying
as you say the IR readings were less than 1.0M/Ohm this indicates a latent defect I.e poor insualtion of the conductors this could be due to a mumber of factors such as age, overloading, Mice etc etc
any reading below 1.0M/Ohm is a fail on the Insulation resistance test results so does not comply with BS7671

was this a global IR test if so test the circuits individually to find if 1 or all are defective if you have already then its a fail and requires rectifying all circuits as you say its from 1930s its already beyond its reasonable expected working life and should ideally have all been rewired anyway

was the cable lead sheathed or VIR

Reply to RCD keeps tripping!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net