Discuss RCD not tripping at 0 Degrees in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gadget300

:confused:
Hi,
One of my electricians came across a fault today which we cannot fathom out.
New split load (dual RCD) board fitted, all insulation and continuity and earth loop readings are ok.
When testing the RCD's at 1/2 ,1 and 5 times at 180 degrees the test is as normal, i.e 1/2 no trip, 1 and 5 times it trips within 40ms.
However at 0 degrees the RCD does not trip at all.

This happens on BOTH RCDS, we though we cant be that unlucky with 2 faulty RCDs, but they were changed and it still does the same.

Is this a supply fault - contact the DNO????

ANY ideas????

Have you tried the test kit on a known good RCD, or have you tried a different tester on the suspect RCD`s. I agree highly unlikely to have 2 duff ones. I can see no reason why the RCd only trips at 180' its only a coil and should trip which ever direction it is energised.
It has to be your tools..pardon the pun.
Cheers....Howard

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried the test kit on a known good RCD, or have you tried a different tester on the suspect RCD`s. I agree highly unlikely to have 2 duff ones. I can see no reason why the RCd only trips at 180' its only a coil and should trip which ever direction it is energised.

Cheers....Howard

Thanks, as its a long distance job - not yet. However the unit was only calibrated in November but I know this doesnt mean much in the real world.

It has to be your tools..pardon the pun.
Cheers....Howard

It has been known for parts to be manufactured and found that batches to be defective and later recalled

Yeah like the RCDs on the cut-price Wylex c/u's that S***wf*x were doing till recently.

I fitted a wylex cu in march the RCD was defective cost me in time and head scratching and replacement.I just could not believe a new cu was defective.Also fitted a wylex rcbo on a circuit at anorther job,that then had nuisance tripping faults so fitted a new rcbo,same tripping,then wired circuit via rcd protected circuit and has been fine since.Tested two rcds in 10way board last week one had ramp test of 25ma the 2nd rcd was 15ma which seems a bit low to me,and why the big difference

I know this is an old post but I have had the same issue today. The property in question has two consumer units. Testing one RCD on Board 1 all tests work as they should @1/2, 1, 5 on both 0 and 180 degrees.

The RCD in board 2 will not trip at 1x on 0 degrees but will at 5x and does for 1x and 5x at 180 degrees.
I have replaces the RCD 3 times all with the same results,3 different makes of RCD. Ramp test comes back with >51

I k now my tester is working fine, and other suggestions ?

I know this is an old post but I have had the same issue today. The property in question has two consumer units. Testing one RCD on Board 1 all tests work as they should @1/2, 1, 5 on both 0 and 180 degrees.

The RCD in board 2 will not trip at 1x on 0 degrees but will at 5x and does for 1x and 5x at 180 degrees.
I have replaces the RCD 3 times all with the same results,3 different makes of RCD. Ramp test comes back with >51

I k now my tester is working fine, and other suggestions ?
Are you testing at the RCD with all loads isolated? Are there any ballast or other such devices on the circuits fed by the RCD?

Sound like you may have a neutral to earth fault before the Rcd.
I don't understand your reasoning. What type of N-E fault are you referring to and why would it cause the RCD to fail the test as outlined by nrg above?

explain ramp test for me please

RCD's generally trip anywhere between 50% and 100% of their nominal rated current it is common and perfectly normal for a 30mA RCD to trip between 15mA and 30mA but on average in the low twenties of mA.

On most RCD testers with a ramp function, when you press the test button, the tester progressively increases (ramps up) the circuit leakage current in 1mA steps, until such time as the RCD trips, you can then read the display which gives the value of current in mA at which the trip occurred.

When ramp testing, if there is already an existing leak on the circuit this can reduce the reading further as the existing leak will just add to the meter ramp effect giving a false early trip value.

If their is no existing leakage on the circuit, then a reading less than 15mA is likely to be prone to nuisance tripping and you should consider replacing the RCD.

This test, like all RCD tests, should be carried out directly at the RCD load side (output) terminals with the final circuit disconnected or at least with all loads removed.

thanks markie so the rcd test is measured in mili seconds and the ramp test in mili amps but why and when are you asked to do a ramp test been testing for good while now allways just done x1/2 x1 x5 tests never been asked to do a ramp test could you explain when a ramp test would be required

A ramp test is used in fault finding to ascertain whether it is the rcd that is over sensitive or an actual fault is present.
There is no requirement to enter this finding on any test certificate, just another tool to be used in testing and fault finding.

Reply to RCD not tripping at 0 Degrees in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock