Discuss Rcd or not in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Liam howe

Morning guys,

Need some quick advise without having to look through the bible to find the answer.

Installing a small 4 way unit into a domestic property to supply a new oven which requires 3 seperate supplies of 16amps.

Does the new sub board im installing need to be rcd protected or not?

Thanks
Liam

are cables fed from this sub buried in walls < 50mm deep?

Im guessing it needs an RCD, but i dont like guessing hence advice. Im an industrial installer dont work on dwellings much.

The cables are buried in walls less than 50mm yes

Im guessing it needs an RCD, but i dont like guessing hence advice. Im an industrial installer dont work on dwellings much.

The cables are buried in walls less than 50mm yes
Domestic Installer Commercial Installer now an Industrial Installer, that's a DI,CI and II, what next?

Im asking for advice not your cocky remarks. Ive just started out on my own and now having to think for myself.

I dont know every page of the regs yet like you oldies and i havent got time to check them.

No theres no RCD protection in the property at all.

When you say three separate supplies of 16a are you meaning a three phase cooker or three part cooker? Sorry it thats a dumb question. RCD are required for all sockets in domestic, period. It also applies to industrial, commercial. It stipulates RCD for cables in walls, portable equipment for use outside and sockets generally. I would say that putting an RCD as additional protection is not a bad thing, however the regs don't stipulate that for a cooker unless the switch has a socket in it. Look at 411.3.3

Last edited by a moderator:
No not three phase. All single phase seperate supplies. Doing this as there different parts of the cooker and if theres a problem with say the warmingg tray thats in the oven if that doesnt work atleast the other parts will. No sockets on the oven supplies at all just hard wired.

you could of course use one of the other methods of protection stated in 522.6.101. eg. use SWA.

Im asking for advice not your cocky remarks. Ive just started out on my own and now having to think for myself.

I dont know every page of the regs yet like you oldies and i havent got time to check them.

No theres no RCD protection in the property at all.

Hi my friend,i would urge you to edit that,you will get a more cordial response :)

Reply to Rcd or not in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net