Discuss RCD Problem - HELP NEEDED! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

arry01

First off I dont claim to be great with electrics!

I have installed a new consumer unit today, from the meter it has some 16mm T&E tails at considerable length - maybe 10 meters where I have put a KMF switch with an 80amp fuse.

The board is a 2 way split, when i open the main RCD switch at 100amp to the CU that sits open, when I open the 2 x 63amp RCD's one snaps back in a fault condition whilst under no load at all. The other sits comfortable operating some lights.

Assumed it must be a faulty RCD i thought i would swap them, same problem.

I cant work out what is going on here and would appreciate some help, has anyone seen this before please?

Many thanks in advance.

Harry

If circuits are live with the main RCD open then you have a very serious problem.

Why do you have an RCD main switch? Is it a TT?

Are you working in your own home or at a customer. If you're working for a customer you're required to be 'competent' and saying you're not great with electrics is making me wonder.:shocked:

I have installed a new consumer unit today, from the meter it has some 16mm T&E tails at considerable length - maybe 10 meters where I have put a KMF switch with an 80amp fuse.

The board is a 2 way split, when i open the main RCD switch at 100amp to the CU that sits open, when I open the 2 x 63amp RCD's one snaps back in a fault condition whilst under no load at all. The other sits comfortable operating some lights.

I cant work out what is going on here and would appreciate some help, has anyone seen this before please?
Did you test the circuits for insulation faults or crossed/borrowed neutrals before you installed the CU? If so what were the results?

Many thanks in advance.

Harry

:juggle:

I'm saying nowt for fear of a ban. where's glennsparks when you want him?

Yeah, I'm waiting for some further info from Harry first.

Many thanks in advance.

Harry

I believe its called not being competent!

Maybe best to call a local electrician to take a look. :)

Okay the OP hasn't returned with answers to questions so I'm closing this. Arry01, you're welcome to PM me and state your case with more info if you want the thread reopening.

After receiving a PM from the OP explaining a few more things, I'll be nice......

You have what is called a "borrowed/shared neutral". First point of call is to conduct a continuity test in between the neutral bars. Close attention should be given to the lighting circuits and the possibility of crossed over legs of RFC's.

With the Quals you have + your test equipment. You should figure this out in no time.

Thread re-opened

Reply to RCD Problem - HELP NEEDED! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock