Discuss rcd protecting tails again in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

onions1066

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I know this subject has been done to death and I have my opinion on it but today in a domestic property new build only 3 years old. Meter tails behind plaster no protection with even capping just clipped direct. Dual rcd board in the house. Tails 8 meters long switch fuse outside in Meter box. What would you protect the Tails with?

I know this subject has been done to death and I have my opinion on it but today in a domestic property new build only 3 years old. Meter tails behind plaster no protection with even capping just clipped direct. Dual rcd board in the house. Tails 8 meters long switch fuse outside in Meter box. What would you protect the Tails with?

shoulda used SWA :tank:

get the cowboy that installed them back to put it right.

then you'll have 2 30mA RCDs in series. not only will you have no discrimination, but you'll have no division of circuits in the case of a fault tasking out the entire installation.

I've found this on job before told customer to get in touch with company who sold them the property. Noted on cert couldn't do much about it offered to replace with swa but they didn't want house ripping apart and my bill for doing so.

rite..

since when has `capping`..or pvc/metal channel been considered as `mechanical protection`?

do away with them tails....find an alternative run for an SWA...

do it rite...

No Glen it was a general conversation with nic regarding s few things. Contractors are long gone they won't be coming back. The Tails run straight down the hallway wall in a prime place to have a picture attached to them
so ....

hmm...OK then:eek:

look for an alternative route.....can you get under the floor?

if so then thats your play..

I've found this on job before told customer to get in touch with company who sold them the property. Noted on cert couldn't do much about it offered to replace with swa but they didn't want house ripping apart and my bill for doing so.
but could you have just cut back the original tails ..left them in the wall and found an alternative route for an WSA....as i`m advising Onions to do?

You've got two choices tell customer your concerns if they agree replace with swa, but even this may not stop a nail if as you say the route tails take are in prime location for this to happen and rip their house apart and increase their bill by the cost or do the job you came to do and note on cert and invoice . Can't make customers have work done they don't want. Understand your concerns but you haven't left the installation anymore unsafe than before you started and unless you condem the whole instalation as dangerous enough to issue a danger notice what can you do next bloke won't think twice about it.

Reply to rcd protecting tails again in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock