Discuss Rcd protection for shower downlight in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi some advice please..im not a spark but need an answer to this. I want an LED downlight in my shower. Do I need additional RCD protection for this ? The consumer unit circuits are protected by one RCD in the unit.
Not sure if I need a local RCD fitted for a new light fitting direct above shower. From existing lighting circuit ?
Cheers

If the existing rcd is 30ma then no as this provides additional protection assuming it operates correctly.

Well that the good news.

I want an LED downlight in my shower.

Possible bad news: Sounds like this is a new light. Depending on where the light is fitted, this may be notifiable work.

Thanks ill check to see if its 30ma
I assumed it was a sparks job anyway...so ill get hold of one.
Hi some advice please..im not a spark but need an answer to this. I want an LED downlight in my shower. Do I need additional RCD protection for this ? The consumer unit circuits are protected by one RCD in the unit.
Not sure if I need a local RCD fitted for a new light fitting direct above shower. From existing lighting circuit ?
Cheers

Hi Robert,

If the lighting circuit supplying the bathroom isn't protected by the RCD in the consumer unit, don't be pressured into thinking you have to have a new consumer unit.

If there is room in the unit you could get the one circuit changed over to an RCBO (a combined circuit breaker and RCD) or (as I have done in the past) you can have the bathroom lights separated from the rest and have them supplied by an RCD fused spur unit which can normally be conveniently located in the airing cupboard (if it's nearby), on the wall at ceiling height outside the bathroom or at a push in the ceiling above the bathroom door for example).

Changing to an RCBO is probably quickest, but they won't always fit in older boards. That said, the last time I separated a bathroom off, it took me around an hour (aside from materials, the labour bill was the same either way).

I was just weighing in, just in case it's not quite as he believes, making him aware of his options so he's not mislead by a fast talking chancer who convinces him the only option is for a new consumer unit :)
Welcome to the forum,
It sounds like it is a split consumer unit with one RCD protecting sockets,maybe post a photo of the consumer unit and we could advise further.

Lovely thankyou...ill try post a CU pic
:)
Hi Robert,

If the lighting circuit supplying the bathroom isn't protected by the RCD in the consumer unit, don't be pressured into thinking you have to have a new consumer unit.

If there is room in the unit you could get the one circuit changed over to an RCBO (a combined circuit breaker and RCD) or (as I have done in the past) you can have the bathroom lights separated from the rest and have them supplied by an RCD fused spur unit which can normally be conveniently located in the airing cupboard (if it's nearby), on the wall at ceiling height outside the bathroom or at a push in the ceiling above the bathroom door for example).

Changing to an RCBO is probably quickest, but they won't always fit in older boards. That said, the last time I separated a bathroom off, it took me around an hour (aside from materials, the labour bill was the same either way).

Welcome to the forum,
It sounds like it is a split consumer unit with one RCD protecting sockets,maybe post a photo of the consumer unit and we could advise further.

Rcd protection for shower downlight 15198577156981660227666 - EletriciansForums.net

Hard to say if the rcd protects the bathroom lighting, switch it off and see if the lights still operate.

The way the numbering goes I think the lights are on the non RCD 876 are RCD protected. I have never seen an ASHLEY/ROCK consumer unit never knew they did one and I don't think that you would get an RCBO for that very easily. Maybe go with sparkyChick's
idea of a RCD unit/spur otherwise consider a consumer unit upgrade.

The way the numbering goes I think the lights are on the non RCD 876 are RCD protected. I have never seen an ASHLEY/ROCK consumer unit never knew they did one and I don't think that you would get an RCBO for that very easily. Maybe go with sparkyChick's
idea of a RCD unit/spur otherwise consider a consumer unit upgrade.
Thanks for this...yes I think the lights are on 4 and 5...does it look to you like i could get an RCBO in that space blanked off..i hear Hager do one that will fit. But guess only if there is a slot and room in there.
If not yeah Ill go for a Rcd close to the room

Ashley and Rock are common on some of the estates I work on.

You won't find spares for them anywhere except eBay... but... Hager parts are compatible as I've had to replace a couple of failed RCDs and tweak breaker ratings.

But... I'm not sure you'd get an RCBO in one. Depends how much of the space above the MCBs is taken up with wiring. Anything like the ones round here and you've got no chance.

You won't find spares for them anywhere except eBay... but... Hager parts are compatible as I've had to replace a couple of failed RCDs and tweak breaker ratings.

But... I'm not sure you'd get an RCBO in one. Depends how much of the space above the MCBs is taken up with wiring. Anything like the ones round here and you've got no chance.

Rcd protection for shower downlight 20180301_141943 - EletriciansForums.net

View attachment 41092

View attachment 41092 how does it look? Can i get someone to remove the light circuit mcb and replace it with an RCBO ?

Reply to Rcd protection for shower downlight in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock