Discuss RCD Protection for submains in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

That you should code in accordance with BS7671.
i.e. don’t code a socket for non-compliance with a requirement that was dropped 11 years ago.
It wasn't really 'dropped' though, simply superceded by the requirement that all socket outlets below 20a require 30ma additional protection.
But the level of danger posed remains different as per the best practice guidance. That states c2 if kit likely to be used outdoors and c3 for other socket outlets if I remember correctly.

Just to lighten things up a bit, what happened to the thread where the guy was openly offering cash for someone doing his course work ?? Has it been deleted?

It wasn't really 'dropped' though, simply superceded by the requirement that all socket outlets below 20a require 30ma additional protection.
But the level of danger posed remains different as per the best practice guidance. That states c2 if kit likely to be used outdoors and c3 for other socket outlets if I remember correctly.
That’s probably where this confusion originates.
BS7671 no longer says “may reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment for use outdoors”.
It now says shall be provided for mobile equipment for use outdoors.
The requirement has shifted from the socket to the mobile equipment.

Sorry Antony. my iPad had not full refreshed I see your comment and I get your point.

Yes many years ago we just relied on a fuse and they were very good, then RCD came along. I agree there is an over reliance on them.
" we may have a problem or I'm not sure if we do or not , I know lets thrown an RCD at it"

The way I look at it the first cars didn't have seat belts, after a few accidents seat belts came along. Then a few years later we got air bags,
Things improve all the time. RCDs make installations safer.

As for the installation it's hard to tell but from an experience I had with twin and Earth sub mains they were in the stud wall of the room quite obvious the cable zone when your in the room . But this wall formed the out side corridor. At this point it was not obvious of the cable safe zone

I don't believe put a RCD on sub main on is a good idea ( that is down to the designer of the circuit) . But it would conform with the regulations. Cables buried in the fabric of the building with out RCD protection is a code on an EICR and if it's a commercial building then there are health and safety issue as well.

In my case we replace the sub mains with SWA, as the level,of disturbance which was reasonable foreseeable by installing an RCD was not acceptable to him as a business.

Either way unprotected cable buried in to the fabric of the building needs RCD protection, if you can verified these cables are buried deep enough through and run in safe zones happy days, if not then you need to think very carefully on how you coded it.

Hence if they had all there paper work I would have confidence they were on the ball and in control of their installation I may be persuaded to give them a code 3,
Personally I am not in the business of trying to give satisfactory EICR as if I'm not happy it's unsatisfactory.

It really hasn't shifted. It has been enhanced to cover all socket-outlets. So you can't sensibly claim that the requirement has been removed.
It has been removed.
Yes we now have a requirement for all socket-outlets to be RCD protected.
If the sockets don’t have RCD protection then apply a code, simples.
Don’t apply a code to some sockets and then another code to other sockets because of a Regulation that’s 11 years out of date.

It has been removed.
Yes we now have a requirement for all socket-outlets to be RCD protected.
If the sockets don’t have RCD protection then apply a code, simples.
Don’t apply a code to some sockets and then another code to other sockets because of a Regulation that’s 11 years out of date.

So you would code a socket next to a bath the same risk as a socket in the loft feeding an arial booster?

There is that better?
I do get fed up with members who hit the disagree button, but aren’t able or willing to explain why.
For instance the last post of mine, do you disagree that the requirement to provide RCD protection for socket-outlets that would reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment out doors has been removed?
Do you disagree that we now have a requirement to provide RCD protection to all sockets?
Or is it that you disagree that we shouldn’t apply a code to an installation based on an 11 year out of date requirement?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to RCD Protection for submains in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock