Discuss RCD protection on Office socket - Three phase board. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

On a job at the moment and office sockets have no RCD protection. They are ran in singles, PVC conduit. I am adding onto the circuit as additional rooms are in the process of being built. Do I need to protect the whole circuit with an RCD or can I just protect the new sockets with an RCD FCU? Whats the score with three phase boards and RCD protection? Do I need to fit an RCBO?

Last edited by a moderator:
if sockets are under the supervision of a "skilled or instructed" person, then there is no requirement in BS7671 to fit RCD protection.

No skilled people. Just offices workers and a store room. Best way to RCD protect sockets? RCBO?

Under the EAWR not only employers but employees are expected to know the dangers of electricity in the workplace and so I would say the office workers should come into at least the instructed persons category, as they should be instructed by the EAWR regulations and their employer

Last edited:
In my experience of office fit outs etc working for several companies it has always been fine to not put on an RCD as the office staff etc are deemed instructed, as far as I remember this was something to do with the offices H&S that no staff should be touching anything electrical. Dont know how this would apply to smaller companies offices etc without strict H&S in place.

Could always fit an RCBO to be on the safe side, I probably would tbh. Then your covered either way.

Going to put IT sockets on non RCD radial.... I need an earth going back to the board?? Then going to have seperate Circuit for other socket outlets for cleaners and hand tools in store room on rcbo?

for the IT sockets, a radial is fine, but you need to install hi integrity earthing.

Not too sure where to go on this one....? What reg lets you get away with not RCD protecting sockets...other than the 50mm rule and also the under skilled occupation....Because I don't consider regular office staff as "skilled" Electrically..... I also though do not want a case of nuissance tripping.....Whats the best way to go in your honest opinions?

you only need 1 "skilled" person ( manager ) in the office. all other staff can be "instructed" persons. i.e they are instructed by the skilled person not to mess about with electrical equipment.

On a job at the moment and office sockets have no RCD protection. They are ran in singles, PVC conduit. I am adding onto the circuit as additional rooms are in the process of being built. Do I need to protect the whole circuit with an RCD or can I just protect the new sockets with an RCD FCU? Whats the score with three phase boards and RCD protection? Do I need to fit an RCBO?

Are the conduits running surface or chased into the walls?
If everything is surface then no RCD's are require

no reason why not. not all managers are numpties despite what we call them.

The keywords are skilled or instructed, as others have said, EAWR requires staff at work to be informed via H&S policy.

So long as the cables are not buried in the wall, or being used outdoors, or in a special location, the RCD protection may be omitted.

Section 411.3.3

even the 50mm rule in walls is out the window where skilled or instructed applies ... 522.6.7

Going to put IT sockets on non RCD radial.... I need an earth going back to the board?? Then going to have seperate Circuit for other socket outlets for cleaners and hand tools in store room on rcbo?​

That is exactly what I would do too.

Re HI earthing, there is a good article covering this in the wiring matters mag (attached)​

Attachments

• High Integrity Earthing.pdf
    485.8 KB · Views: 62

Reply to RCD protection on Office socket - Three phase board. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net