Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss rcd protection on sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. deanmac

deanmac Regular EF Member

hi guys if a bank of 20 sockets wired in surface trunking on a radial circuit,these sockets would be used for computers gameboys and music equipment,my question is would they need to be rcd protected ? i know normally they would not,it's just that my mate said if protecting computers they should, i cannot find anything on this

2. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    If the said socket outlet circuit is subject to high earth leakage current then the circuit needs to be wired differently than a normal Ring FC or Radial FC as per Regulation 543.7.1.201 information can be found on page 81 OSG and Figures 7.5.3 (1) and 7.5.3 (11) Page 82 OSG

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. deanmac

i would be running a separate earth along with dual earth terminals just cannot see anything regarding rcd

4. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    to omit RCD protection for these sockets, you would have to do a written risk assessment justifying a reason why. what's to stop someone plugging in a faulty appliance?

5. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi - As Pete has said.
    For RCD see Reg 411.3.3 :)

6. deanmac

these sockets are for my friend and will be solely for computer and stereo equipment and not for outdoor purposes etc

7. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Isn't the risk assessment, not for residential (apologies for my grammar) and no longer current in the 18th?

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

Unless the sockets are intended for specific items of equipment, they will need RCD protection.
    Haven’t gotten round to checking whether the 18th has changed this.

9. deanmac

just for the items mentioned

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  10. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I thought that the 18th made rcd's mandatory on sockets and lighting circuits ...

• Agree Agree x 8
  11. deanmac

i thought not for sockets if a risk assessment has been done

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  12. spinlondon

Risk assessments do not apply to domestic installations with regards to omitting RCD protection.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. spinlondon

Are these items likely to be unplugged and perhaps taken to other locations?

14. deanmac

so even though these sockets will be wired surface and only used for computers they will need rcd protection ?

15. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

It is still in the 18th Ed.