Discuss RCD protection on spotlights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

aaelectric

Went to see a small job of changing the big spotlights to 12v spotlight the current fuse board is 3036 rewrireable fuses. All bonding in place. We will have to fill the existing holes and cut new ones and maybe add a little cable for extra spotlights. Do you think RCD protection is really nessesary as its unlikely some one will stick a screw in ceiling.if disconnection times are met, Also existing circuit is not RCD protected.

As you are modifying the circuit you are taking responsibility for the whole circuit. Has to travel in a wall somewhere. Could you get an RCBO for the current board?

Current fuse box is 3036 no RCBO will fit personally its takin jobs away from us as the will get the handyman in who will do it without even thinking about rcds.,but as a professional regs are the regs your opinion does count

Shoot me down in flames for this respones...
I appreciate all the replies so far, but my understanding of the OP is that he's just replacing accessories in virtually the same place, no circuit mods/alts, so he shouldn't have to add additional protection.
I mean you wouldn't install an RCD if you were replacing a damaged socket outlet, for example...would you?

It is only the work you are conducting that must comply with the Regulations.
There is no requirement for you to upgrade any of the existing installation.
If you are installing or altering cables that are concealed in walls, then those cables will require additional protection (not neccessarily by means of a 30mA RCD).
If you are not, then no there is no requirement for you to provide 30mA RCD protection.
If the work is in a location containg a bath or shower, then yes you will have to provide 30mA RCD protection, and it should protect the whole circuit.

Reply to RCD protection on spotlights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net