Discuss Rcd protection on supply cables ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GS Electrical

Hi guys just need some more opinions on this topic.
Main board feeding 4 distribution boards all the dis boards are fully rcd protected but the main board with the 16mm twin and earth cables has no rcd protection should they be rcbo's or am I going over kill ????!!

depends on whether 522.6.101 applies to the 16mm.

I would say not to RCD protect distribution circuits due to that the fact that the supplied DBs lose any discrimination.
Install them in such a manner that RCD protection need not be applied.

you really have to look as the guys have said at the installation methods if less than50mm or without mechanical protection the yes how ever as has been said discrimination then comes in and you dont want a main switch RCD on the distribution side so it would have to be time delayed RCBO's and that all
depends on the installation methods

So you've got RCD's in the db's and you are thinking about RCBO'ing the dist circuits. Are you then going to remove the RCD's from the DB's? Did you install the dist circuits?

Great info ******** !!! How much info do you guys need it's simple !! Main board has 4 16mm twin and earth cables coming out each one supplying a small 17th edition board!! The main board has normal mcbs inside 60898 type b 40 amps the cables appear to be going inside the wall and up to each db. I already know that I'm going to fit rcbo's to protect the 16mm cables I just wanted otherelectricians options not the opinions of regs book shaggers !!!!

Great info ******** !!! How much info do you guys need it's simple !! Main board has 4 16mm twin and earth cables coming out each one supplying a small 17th edition board!! The main board has normal mcbs inside 60898 type b 40 amps the cables appear to be going inside the wall and up to each db. I already know that I'm going to fit rcbo's to protect the 16mm cables I just wanted otherelectricians options not the opinions of regs book shaggers !!!!

So are you taking the RCD's out of the CU's?

so what about RCD discrimination between the main DB and the sub-DBs?

and we still don't know what part of this job is being done by you. if those 16mm feeds are existing, and were installed to a previous edition of the regs., why would you need to RCD protect them?

And that right there is the reason that electricians with ten times more knowledge and experience than you will not be interested in helping you with your question. The very people you'd do best to keep on side you've now alienated with a paragraph. I was going to help you, but now I'm just going to say what came to mind first; If you have to ask this question then you aren't an electrician. Good luck with your future endeavours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great attitude issue ...see you getting a lot of repeat business with responses like that.. Not!
We are professionals, our opinions are derived for the Regulations as simple as, the 2 question I asked were very relevant and would have totally changed my answer.. if this was a new install I would have said its poor design best to re-run the supplies in SWA or Mechanically protecting the T&E so as to drop the need for RCD up front, If this is an existing set-up then you don't have to bring it up to the 17th but either way having 2 x 30mA in series is a no go and on any new install this should not ever be the case.
To call us reg book shaggers is a clear statement you are somewhat less than professional, anyone who was genuine would be interested in what area of the regs and where they stood with regard to their question, your response suggests you see anyone competent to use the regs as some sort of jobsworth well maybe its a reflection on yourself not been up to the mark.

You stick to what you think you know, why bother with regs... the fact you asked the question means you don't fully understand them and yes thats why we are here to advise but sorry your attitude stinks, you don't like the responses you got so dummy was spat like an immature excuse for a professional tradesman .... Enjoy your short stay in the forum if you keep it up with the attitude!

Great attitude issue ...see you getting a lot of repeat business with responses like that.. Not!
We are professionals, our opinions are derived for the Regulations as simple as, the 2 question I asked were very relevant and would have totally changed my answer.. if this was a new install I would have said its poor design best to re-run the supplies in SWA or Mechanically protecting the T&E so as to drop the need for RCD up front, If this is an existing set-up then you don't have to bring it up to the 17th but either way having 2 x 30mA in series is a no go and on any new install this should not ever be the case.
To call us reg book shaggers is a clear statement you are somewhat less than professional, anyone who was genuine would be interested in what area of the regs and where they stood with regard to their question, your response suggests you see anyone competent to use the regs as some sort of jobsworth well maybe its a reflection on yourself not been up to the mark.

You stick to what you think you know, why bother with regs... the fact you asked the question means you don't fully understand them and yes thats why we are here to advise but sorry your attitude stinks, you don't like the responses you got so dummy was spat like an immature excuse for a professional tradesman .... Enjoy your short stay in the forum if you keep it up with the attitude!

i'd have just said "bollox"

Reply to Rcd protection on supply cables ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net