Discuss RCD Protection in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Goin to quote a job tonight, went round yesterday for a quick look.

Basically there redecorating there master bedroom, there is only 1 double socket next to the door, they want 3 more around the room. Its an old use box with no rcd's and dont want to upgrade, will i be ok putting the new cables in steel earthed trunking?? Or shall i only do it if they upgrade??

If they won't pay for the upgrade then the only way is to protect the cable as you say, or make sure its 50mm below the finised surface, which is probably impossible to do.

Chase out and wire it in SWA or you could surface mount:(

you could surface mount, but would look much better in mini trunking IMO :)

Much easier and less hassle option compared to chasing out.

Would i have to do both?? Or you sayin that for extra safety??

So my options are;
Wire in 2.5mm pvc and use steel trunking.
Wire in SWA with NO trunking
Or switch fused spur 2.5mm pvc and no trunking??

Am i right??

Use conduit and not trunking making sure its earthed properly
Yes, but ensure the armour is earthed properly
Yes
:)

Why conduit and not trunking?? Will make sure it is earth properly :)

Wot does everyone reckon best option??

If they dont want surface mounted, then its going to be easier to sink steel conduit into a wall than trunking.

After suggesting all this, I would use the RCD spur method. Quick and easy

Last edited:
Mighty quick ha. Wot you mean about sockets?? I thought if cable is in conduit then no RCD needed?? Looks like il do the RCD spur though. A big thanks, and a cheers :)

Mighty quick ha. Wot you mean about sockets?? I thought if cable is in conduit then no RCD needed?? Looks like il do the RCD spur though. A big thanks, and a cheers :)

The cable is excluded from 50mm rule if in steel conduit but the new sockets, i am fairly certain, still require rcd protection. eg if you were running cable for lighting in conduit you wouldn't need rcd for the circuit (but all new sockets do). So it's either upgrade the CU, RCD protect the ring or the fused rcd unit as the only options.:)

(the button is what i crave:D)

I had a similar problem a while ago, and alot of the senior members on here were basically saying that i was responsible for the whole circuit i was working on, so it meant RCD the whole circuit at the board. Which i couldnt do either so i just ran a RCD fused spur instead...! easy option and you are protecting your own work.

If you can put a RCBO on the circuit at the board. You WILL need RCD protection on the sockets you install regardless!

Last edited:
Ok thanks everyone just got back from quoting job. They have picked black nickel sockets etc very nice, trouble is my only supplier electric centre dont do em :( also this rcd switch fused spur is white, is there any others out there to match the black nickel??

Also when installing new sockets do i have to put them between 450mm and 1200mm or can i do them to match other sockets in the house??

Reply to RCD Protection in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net