Discuss RCD Query in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dishman

Hi,

Am in Spain and we had alot of rain last night. All electrics were tripped out and wouldn´t reset. I isolated the ring causing the trouble, unplugged everything and reset ok. I then started plugging things back in. Eventually the system tripped when I plugged in one of my anti surge mains (RF) filter blocks. So I threw away beleiving faulty. As it is Spain I have many of these units to connect almost all of my electronic equipment as the mains is not good and surges happen.

I switched on my other mains blocks and each time the rcd tripped. Three of the same make and one other caused the tripping and three other makes didn´t. Obviously they must work slightly differently.

Any way my question is what do you think is causing the tripping -do these units send any interference/extra voltage down earth causing the tripping. Could threre already be some leakage elsewhere and thises units pushing it over 30ma. And could you let me know could a fault before the rcd cause any problems.

Thanks in advance.

Lot of rain last night ? - you may always of had a bit of earth leakage, but if no earth installed as is common abroad, it wouldnt of registered. Due to rain possible short between line and neutral, condensation as dry out etc. Good question if faults upstream of the supply will cause a RCD to trip, thats downstream on a board. I suppose it could, anyone help with this ?

Ok so no chance of fault before rcd contributing to trip. So if I instal a new earth this might stop the trips?

I will buy an earth rod and install in the garden, please let me know the depth it needs to go to and where I should connect it to, ideally. I would assume that any earth cable in the house would surfice as they should all be connected to each other at some point.

Any idea as to why some make of anti surge, rf filter blocks cause trip and others don´t?

Thanks

Yes over here our fuse boards are in two. First half has main switch, then second half has rcd switch and the mcbs.

Well booked a local spark to come and have a look.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to RCD Query in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net