Discuss RCD query in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

ashdog

-
Reaction score
Evening Chaps

Just got back from a job where the sockets had lost power, went to CU and found a pair of adjustable grips hanging on the front of the RCD (Contactum) it 'had' a knob instead of switch for on/off operation

apparently the last electrician had put grips on RCD to hold it in the 'ON' position!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hav'nt come across an RCD with a knob on before, i'm sure you chaps have

Are they old/obsolete now or still available?

I intend to replace it with standard one

Im assuming your refering to the front end rcd unit on a dist board which has mechanically failed on the knob hence the imaginative repair, ive come across similar on 3 phase boards if thats not what you on about but while your on the internet just type in contactum on you search engine and take your pick.

its a bit like the put a broom handle under the mcb to stop it tripping thing
it will still trip
if you hold the switch up on an rcd and press t it will still trip i cannot see any reason the grips would serve a purpose

its a bit like the put a broom handle under the mcb to stop it tripping thing
it will still trip
if you hold the switch up on an rcd and press t it will still trip i cannot see any reason the grips would serve a purpose
Sounds like its mechanically failed hence the internal latch is broken so it wont stay on as it is spring loaded but although imaginative as you say its not a safety hazard as the device trips internally irrespective of switch position.

Thanks Chaps

Looks like a bodge to me and will be sorting in the morning, to make job even more fun CU has been 'boxed' in by kichen fitters, it's at the back of a base unit

Will take pic's if poss and post soon

Very old style RCD and obsolete. I have had a problem with the knob on the front of one before not staying on, sounds like this one fell in the bin. You gonna have to relace it, and likely the board too as from memory you wont get a swap.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the make and model and take it to a wholesaler. Even if it looks new it still can be obsolete as these items are modified frequently, although there are some standard sizes that have stuck.

have come across the "knob" ones on the old memera2000 boards, very crudely made inside, pain to get parts for! hopefully you can "adjust" the board to get a standard wylex rcd in.

Thanks for all replies

have just finished the very interesting RCD change in old Contactum board

Keef you were right very old and obsolete, had to change MCB's as well, all done and now working fine

Will try to get some pic's of RCD and CU position in cupboard and post them soon

Thanks again

Reply to RCD query in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net