Discuss RCD RATING VS. SERVICE FUSE RATING in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

So the OP's wholesaler was wrong with their assertion that all RCCBs will need to be 100A rated.

My example is how I used to arrange all my dual RCD boards anyway, but not installed any for a while now.

You are correct. I suppose the supplier is saying that we should assume 100A unless proven otherwise.

That’s in relation to a Consumer Unit, yes?
In relation to choice of OCPD yes?

It is in relation to OCPD protection for RCCBs. Makes no reference to consumer units or otherwise. If an RCCB is installed then it needs to meet this reg.

No, it doesn’t specify CUs, but it does make reference to the British Standard that applies to CUs and to the overall rating of the assembly, which suggests the assembly is ‘type tested’ and therefore a CU.

No, it doesn’t specify CUs, but it does make reference to the British Standard that applies to CUs and to the overall rating of the assembly, which suggests the assembly is ‘type tested’ and therefore a CU.

BS EN 61439 is the Standard for Low-Voltage Switchgear and Controlgear.

Anyhow, where are you going with this point?

It also includes a BSEN 60947-3 isolator which also requires overload protection

Just had a wholesaler email. Hager have responded to their interpretation of this by releasing dual RCD boards with 100A RCCBs.
As the regulation requires that manufacturers instructions are to be taken into account regarding overload it stands to reason that at least with Hager , they are requiring overload protection of their rccb’s in their consumer units

As the regulation requires that manufacturers instructions are to be taken into account regarding overload it stands to reason that at least with Hager , they are requiring overload protection of their rccb’s in their consumer units
No, this does not require the instructions to be taken account of.
This requires the instructions to be complied with.

Hager now are supplying their dual rcd boards with 2 x 100amp 30mA rccb’s which are now type A with or with out an SPD
Yep, and the prices have gone up by a staggering 64% (example used is old VML710CU to new VML910CU). I don't fit many of these (mostly all-RCBO boards) but now the price differential between a high integrity, and an all-RCBO board makes it less worth while now.

I'm impressed at the minimal price difference between boards with and without SPDs, though; e.g. difference between VML114 (14 way, main 100A main switch) and VML112SPD (12 way, 100A main switch with Type 2 SPD) is a fairly reasonable £74.95+VAT (and you also save the cost of 2 blanks ;) ).

What problem(s) is(are) this(these) new regulation(s) addressing?

My guess is the frequency with which boards are being installed with an under rated RCD protecting a group of circuits.

I've just been to quote a job today and it was an Ashley and Rock board with an 80A RCD protecting I would say somewhere in the region of 180A worth of MCBs.

Even allowing for some diversity as per the OSG, the five 32A MCBs come out at over 80A. Whether this calculation provides a good reflection of the true load is irrelevant, it doesn't seem right that there is the potential there for pumping 100A through an 80A rated switching device.

Reply to RCD RATING VS. SERVICE FUSE RATING in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock