Discuss RCD requirments in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

originally in the 16th. RCD protection for sockets likely to be used outdoors. 1991.

yes, indirect contact would be eliminated by the operation of the OCPD in the event of a fault.

later amendments to 16th stipulated RCD protection for sockets for general use. can't remember exactly when. mid to late 90's? then on the issue of 17th , RCDs were stipulated for the benefit of kitchen fitters, picture hangers, and general Destroy it Yourself merchants. ( cables buried in walls )

later amendments to 16th stipulated RCD protection for sockets for general use. can't remember exactly when. mid to late 90's? then on the issue of 17th , RCDs were stipulated for the benefit of kitchen fitters, picture hangers, and general Destroy it Yourself merchants. ( cables buried in walls )

Dont MCBs offer protection against picture hangers?

not if the nail just contacts with the L. if a cable is enclosed in earthed metallic conduit/sheath, that would trip a mcb.

Hopefully what ever is in contact with the nail can pass 30ma. If its just wood Id think no trip.

You'd be right. But the moment a person touched the nail, then 30mA might pass through them and be very quickly turned off.

Without the RCD a few amps would have to flow (by which time they'd be dead).

Of course, nothing at all to stop that person thinking, "Huh!" and resetting the RCD again.

Early 80's (15th edition) This was for socket outlets that were specifically intended to supply equipment outdoors and I presume came about with the intention of reducing the number of fatalities when people were simply trimming their hedges and mowing their lawns.

What was behind those fatalities? Damaged cords or missing CPC?

You'd be right. But the moment a person touched the nail, then 30mA might pass through them and be very quickly turned off.

Without the RCD a few amps would have to flow (by which time they'd be dead).

Of course, nothing at all to stop that person thinking, "Huh!" and resetting the RCD again.

You have a point here. Though I can still see current trickling into a wood stud turning it into charcoal.

It's funny, I have owned a house for 29 years but never had an RCD :)
My current house does have MCBs but sadly no RCD!
Perhaps I should upgrade my CU to a nice shiney metal one :)

It's funny, I have owned a house for 29 years but never had an RCD :)
My current house does have MCBs but sadly no RCD!
Perhaps I should upgrade my CU to a nice shiney metal one :)
and while you're at it, fabricate a non-combustible, i.e. ferrous metal cabinet for your chip pan. according to statistics, 50 x more house fires are caused by chip pans igniting than by plastic CUs.

later amendments to 16th stipulated RCD protection for sockets for general use.

I don't think that's right. I think it remained as socket outlets likely to be used to supply equipment outdoors.

I could easily check my blue copy of the 16th (the same as the brown one except it doesn't contain the harmonised colours change), but unfortunately I'm too lazy at the minute!

all depends if you smoke in bed. i once asked a bird if she smoked in bed. she said "don't know, I've never looked"

Reply to RCD requirments in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net