Discuss Rcd test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rcd Test Procedure

Many RCD test meters have a facility where tests can be carried out during the positive or negative half of the supply cycle.

For tests 1 & 2 the RCD operating time to be recorded is the longer of the two measured during the half cycle tests.

Do not press the test button on the RCD before testing as this can temporarily reset a faulty RCD.

Test 1
Adjust the current setting on the test meter to 100% of the rated trip current of the RCD and perform a test. A general purpose BS4293 RCD should operate within 200ms. A general purpose BS61008 RCD or RCBO to BS61009 should operate within 300ms.

Test 2
An RCD provided for basic protection should have a rated trip current not exceeding 30ma. If the RCD is rated at 30ma, adjust the current setting on the test meter to 150ma (x5) and perform a test. The RCD must operate in a time not exceeding 40ms.

Test 3
Adjust the current setting on the test meter to 50% of the RCD trip current and perform a test. The RCD should not operate within 2 seconds.

The Test Button
Finally operate the RCD by pressing its test button.

cj are you training to be an electrician. If so what stage are yot at? I was shown the different testers and what they were for very soon after starting. Maybe you should ask your employer to do the same. But someone did give you a full and brilliant answer above. Plus it is known as a megger not a megga. That is not the instrument for an rcd test tho.

Good idea Phil,

And also make sure you hit the thanks button MANY times.

Amberleaf has given more information in those threads than i think most of us have together.

And all for nothing.

The other option is handy man tips, a bit of a you tube star, sure he will have a section on testing, How do you test for a live circuit? as Pevvers would probably say......With a wet finger........

just as a matter of course, this is a very helpful forum with some great guys who know there stuff.
its not however a replacement for real training as an electrician.
i would suggest buying a book (Gn3) or similar

hi can anybody tell me the exact correct procedure for testing the BS EN 60309-2 three phase socket on an RCD test for the 2391 much appreciated

Reply to Rcd test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net