Discuss RCD Testing and Bonding question. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good Evening Everyone,

I've gotten myself some work along an experienced electrician which I am massively grateful for.

Prior to this, I need to test an installation. I am confident on the use of my tester and how to carry out the tests from what I have learned when I got my C&G2392 but I have come across some real world "barriers" that I need some help with.

I only tested on new style CCU's and the installation is on an old BS3036 board (NO MCB/RCD protection)

To comply with the Regs, I installed an 3a RCD FCU spurred from a ring main to feed two lights (As they needed to be RCD protected)

So my first question is, my tester has a socket adapter for RCD testing but as this is a lighting circuit and I can't plug it in anywhere, how do I compete the RCD test? Do I probe the load side at the switch? Or.....???

The second part of my question is when checking the main bonding, there is a Main CCU and a sub main, I remove to main earth bond from the main CCU not the sub main right and then probe to the gas/water pipes outside to remove the possibly of parallel paths?

Thanks for your help.
T

I always found this a bit of an issue. Applying the probs of my MFT to terminal screws on either the load terminals of the RCD FCU or a the connector block at the end of the circuit a bit hit & miss. Then there's the issue of applying two leads, then pressing the test button; I only have one pair of hands :)

I did make up a simple test socket, with a trailing lead, that could be temporarily connected up, to (as in this case) the end of the new lighting circuit, but it was still a bit of a faff.

Can you re-phrase your second question?

In the end, I did a risk assessment, and decided to use the probs with the croc' clips, attach to the bare wires, then energise the FCU & carry out the RCD test. There said it. Naughty boy. Did the Zs test this way as well :eek:

I recommend option 2, less anyone else has another idea.

Not come across this problem yet but would you not just test at the rcd fcu? as that is what you are testing? ,I test lighting circuit rcbo s with probes and a croc clip at the board, or could you use a kewtech lightmate adaptor at the light?

For testing at lights, get yourself a set of Kewtech Lightmates (I think they are called) and some Kewtech test leads. These plug into the light fittings leaving you with two hands... one for the earth lead and one for the test button.

If you can't reach the RCD from the fitting, then use a croc clip to attach to a good earth point and then you can leave the MFT connected and walk away to reset the RCD.

This is easier than trying to man handle 3 test leads, the test button on your meter and the reset button on the spur when testing at the RCD spur.

For testing the bonding cables... it's not clear whether you are talking about bonding cables or the main earthing conductor, but to verify the continuity of the bonding cables, they should be disconnected from the MET and verified independently.

Hi Guys/Girls,

Sorry for the late reply. I've been snowed under with work, and now snow!

Thank you all for the help. I have some light mates on order so I will carry out the test using those once they arrive.

I do have one more question if anyone is able to help, rather than start a new feed.

Regarding an insulation resistance test, I need to remove all loads etc etc
Will the sensor part of an outside light be affected by this? Or is it safe to do the IR Test with the movement sensor light still connected? .
Thank you. T.

RCDs should be tested at the RCD with all loads disconnected. Easy enough to do. Croc clip on the earth and grab something suitable, hold L and N probes with one hand, reset RCD with other whilst MFT performs auto test.

Some say a standard 4mm probe with the GS38 tip removed can be pushed into a plate screw hole on an accessory to make good contact with the earth strap. Some also say they can get stuck if you're not careful.
All we know is he is called the Stig:D

Reply to RCD Testing and Bonding question. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock